Theatre Students Prepare for Upcoming ’22 Season

It’s two months into the new year and the UCM Theatre and Dance program is already in full swing. They kicked off their 2022 season with a “Night of Nights”, located in the Nickerson Black-Box theater. The night consisted of four 10-minute one act performances and ran from Feb. 10 to 12. Although the first night of theater was short, fans  can be assured that there is much more to come. 

Coming up, “Voucher: Or That PTA Play”’ will be hitting the stage of Highlander Theater Feb. 24 through 27, with their Sunday performance being an afternoon pay-what-you-can matinee. This piece was written by one of UCM’s own theatre professors and national playwrights, Benjamin Gonzales. Gonzales is a temporary instructor of lighting, sound and theatre technology, and he holds the title of vice chair for the national playwriting program for the Kennedy Center. His inspiration for Voucher comes from the very real challenges small school PTA parents face with the upstart of new, expensive charter schools.

“It is also a traditional type of story, with a very traditional protagonist, very traditional antagonist,” Gonzalez said. “It’s a dark comedy, but it gets pretty shocking towards the end.” 

Skipping ahead a couple months, theater enthusiasts should find their seats in the Highlander Theater for the production of the musical, “Fun Home,” based on the graphic novel of the same name. “Fun Home” will run from April 1 through 3 and then again from April 7 to 9. This musical just began rehearsals under the direction of theatre professor Mary Trotter. Trotter has been directing at UCM for four years, however her directing career started nearly 20 years ago. She has tried to pick shows that put the spotlight on those who do not live the same lives as others.

“My favorite stories to tell are the ones that might be different from most people’s,” Trotter said. “I love when I have the opportunities to show stories where characters are exploring and discovering themselves.”

The musical follows Allison Bechdel, played by Alyse Wilson and understudied by Katie Marshall, as she matures through her years. Audiences will see her growth and her story of self discovery relating to issues of identity and sexuality. The cast is relatively small, but incredibly diverse when it comes to the ages of each actor. Students from local elementary schools were selected to play the parts of the children seen in Allison’s early life. Katie Kaminski, playing Hellen Bechdel, said she is excited to see what such a tiny cast can do.

“This is such a unique musical because it is such a small cast with no ensemble, so I’m really excited to grow a small but mighty team.” Kaminski said. 

While there will be many performances to see this semester, there are still COVID-19 precautions in place. Maximum capacity in the Highlander Theater is limited to 75%, and masks will be required within the facility, as this building also serves as a classroom for many students. Tickets to each performance can be purchased online or at the door.