COVID-19 Precautions Continue at UCM

Photo by Lauryn Morrow

From left to right Ichino Murakami, Mylanna Holman, and Delyla Boyd sit together wearing face masks and attending an online course. “People are losing their lives, so it’s important that you just wear [a mask] to participate whether you agree or disagree,” Boyd said.

Students, faculty and staff at the University of Central Missouri continue to adapt to new precautions as COVID-19 evolves and the CDC makes new recommendations. While the UCM community balances masking, new variants and Zoom classes, reported COVID-19 cases continue to increase.

Since March 2020, UCM has had 1,305 students and 341 faculty test positive for COVID-19. As of Jan 22 2022, there have been 70 known active cases.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and UCM currently recommend double masking or wearing N95s and to continue social distancing when possible. On top of these precautions, students are urged to get vaccinated, which can be done at local pharmacies in the Warrensburg area or at the University Health Center. The UHC also offers testing by appointment.

Health Center Director Crissy Hall explained the importance of COVID-19 vaccines.

“Getting vaccinated and boosted decreases the likelihood of being hospitalized with COVID,” Hall said. “Most students I have spoken to that have been vaccinated and boosted and did get COVID have similar symptoms to a cold, and can usually be managed with over the counter cold and flu medications, which we have available at the UHC Dispensary.”