Social Work Offers a Rewarding Career Path

Social workers help others solve and cope with problems in their everyday lives ranging from adopting a child to dealing with a terminal illness diagnosis or recovery from an addiction. Marlys Peck, the Director of the Social Work Program at University of Central Missouri said being a social worker is a privilege. 

“[It’s] a profession that allows us to see the best of people and communities,” Peck said. “If someone needs a social worker, something in their life has not gone as planned or they want to make a change. So, we are stepping into their lives when they are the most vulnerable, and the beautiful part is that they let us in, knowing we are trained and able to provide guidance.” 

Deciding on a career can be a daunting task, but social work can be an area where students can explore their passions and give back to the community for the greater good. 

Two junior social work majors at the UCM, Sam Paddock and Jessica Fugate, shared that they didn’t know exactly what they were going to do when they first started the program. 

Paddock started out as an art major, and then she changed to social work. 

“[The art program] is an amazing program, but I was bored,” Paddock said. “My big’s sister [in Delta Zeta] was a social work major, and it seemed to be the best fit.”  

Fugate was already employed when she transferred to UCM from Metropolitan Community College, she made the decision to transfer to UCM because it was the right location.   

“I come from a background of poverty and understand what it’s like to live with scarcity,” Fugate said. “So, with that, I feel like I can have a level of empathy with those who are experiencing similar hardships and provide the support they need because of the education I was able to get. I recognize that I have privileges as a white person and I want to be a person that uses that in advocate of others who don’t have as many opportunities.” 

Both Paddock and Fugate were not short of praises about the social work professors. Paddock said professors are nice and take the time to get to know students on a personal level, and Fugate praised their experience.

“The social work professors have been a source of inspiration and motivation because of how they teach the classes and share their experiences as a professional social worker before they became teachers.” Fugate said.

As Paddock and Fugate get closer to graduation, they are assured in their decision because of how they have been learning about social work from experienced professors and their passion to support others.