University Closes Nattinger-Bradshaw

Photo by Meah Copeland

The University of Central Missouri plans to begin the demolition of the Nattinger-Bradshaw building this coming spring. Built in 1963, the halls were named after former faculty members Maude Nattinger and Pearl Bradshaw and were home to the Nursing SHIP.

Nattinger-Bradshaw, a residence hall located on the west side of UCM’s campus, will not be reopening to house students and will be returning to green space on campus.

Senior Director of Housing Brenda Moeder said Natt-Brad was not up to university standards.

“The university, in conjunction with our maintenance team, contracted with a company to do building assessments and look at everything structural about the building — the electrical, the plumbing, the envelope of the building,” Moeder said. “Through all of their reviews, Natt-Brad was at the lowest.” 

Moeder said the university originally planned to remodel the building, but after receiving the scores, realized it would be too expensive to fix the repairs on the building without adding any additional renovations. 

A decision like this can take several months to finalize, as multiple departments at the university and outside contracting companies have to complete details beforehand.

“Once we knew [the university] was on board, then it was a process for a scope of work to be written for a bid, for a curement to get the word out on the street, for companies to bid on the demolition of the building but also the abatement of the building,” Moeder said. 

Junior nursing major Ashlyn Kordula said she is sad to see Natt-Brad go.

“I lived in Natt-Brad my freshman year on the nursing SHIP, which made it so much easier for all of us to study together,” Kordula said. “It’s upsetting that they’re tearing it down. I made a lot of friends and memories there.” 

Payton Christensen, a junior secondary education English major, doesn’t have the same fond memories of Nattinger-Bradshaw. 

“It needed to be redone,” Christensen said. “It was kind of gross. Things needed to be cleaned all the time, and a lot of things were broken.” 

The university has tentative plans to begin demolition in the spring of 2022.