Street Fair Brings Out Campus Community

The Muleriders were available before the game for people to take pictures and meeting the universitys live mascots.

Photo by Emma Fischer

The Muleriders were available before the game for people to take pictures and meeting the university’s live mascots.

After nearly two years of mask mandates, social distancing and canceled football games, the University of Central Missouri’s Get the Red Out street fair kicked off the school year with a sea of red t-shirts, school spirit and two live mascots.

The Mules punt team comes out to get ready to punt the ball down the field. The Mules football team lost the home opener 35-16 against Pittsburg State. (Photo by Meah Copeland )

Get the Red Out preceded the first football game of the season. Before fans packed into the stands, many of them walked Holden street, browsing booths for local organizations and businesses. 

Sarah Coldiron, a senior majoring in child and family development, was at the event to support the business Lavy Lash.

Like many UCM students, Coldiron was unable to take part in live events last year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I’m just happy that everything is back to normal,” Coldiron said. “Just being able to see everyone and interact with everyone again — it feels like a community. I love it.” 

Sophomore fashion merchandising major Alexis Swope began college during the pandemic.

“It was a little sad last year, coming to college and expecting to be able to hang out with a bunch of people, and you really couldn’t,” Swope said. 

At Get the Red Out this year, Swope helped the fashion merchandising program with their table and planned on attending the football game later that evening.

The Color Guard team showed school spirit during the home football game. They performed their Divas through the Decades routine during halftime. Photo submitted by Allegra Wolff, Design by Derek Walsh

“I’m super stoked that we can have a parade and have football games,” Swope said. “All of my friends are really feeling the college experience this year.”

Even though Get the Red Out was a live event this year, senior general studies student Ashli Morgan noted the lack of people compared to previous years.

“There’s less people,” Morgan said. “I think it’s because [people are] still not sure about COVID.” 

Morgan also works with Empower Church in the community.

“I think COVID has negatively impacted our student involvement in the community, church [and] on campus,” Morgan said. 

Travis Hume, director of University Farms and caretaker for UCM’s live mascots, had similar thoughts.

“I think COVID is still lingering,” Hume said. “There are still nervous people that don’t want to be in crowded areas.”

Illustration by Sarah Sedgwick

As Hume stood with mascots Mancow and Molly, children and adults excitedly ran up to see the mules.

Hume said he believes UCM’s mules have a positive impact on the community.

“I don’t know if there’s any other school in Missouri that has a live mascot. So we’re pretty proud of it, and the community’s proud of it.”

Hume said he believes UCM’s mules are a source of community excitement.

“Whatever your demographic is, wherever you come from … everybody gets excited to see the mules,” Hume said. “I don’t know if there’s any other school in Missouri that has a live mascot. So we’re pretty proud of it, and the community’s proud of it.”

Hume is not the only one with hope for the future, and what the first football game of the year signifies. Coldiron, Swope and Morgan are all excited for what the future will bring in terms of socializing and living the college experience.

“My kids can go to school, people can come to church, students can come to Get the Red Out,” Morgan said. “That’s exciting.”