Jets Pin Mules 44-4

• In the final match of dual at 285 weight class, redshirt sophomore Trevor Hankins and Jacob Stoneberger compete to get an individual win. Stoneberger defeated Hawkins 6-0.

• Senior Zion Vasquez figures out how to lower his opponents body to the mat by using his hands. Vasquez and Johnson are in 174 pound weight class. JD Johnson pins Vazquez in the first period, giving the Jets the led more.

Photo by Meah Copeland
  • At 125 pound weight class, freshman Trevor Wishne is in position with his opponent, JJ Gillbert. The match lasted the full seven minutes but in the end Gillbert won the match. The Jets started off 5-0 against the Mules.

Photo by Meah Copeland
  • Sophomore John Ridle is working around his opponent, Kendall Frame, to get his shoulders to touch the mat. The weight class is at 157 pounds. Ridle won that match by major decision at 13-0.

Photo by Meah Copeland

The Newman University Jets defeated the University of Central Missouri Mules on Feb. 6. The Jets had an early lead with a win at the 125 weight class. The Mules forfeited the next three matches, leaving the Jets on a 23-0 run. The  Mules only win came from 157 pound sophomore John Ridle. 

“It felt pretty good,” Ridle said. “The opponent was hurt. So, he was not as good as he will be at regionals, but I thought he did pretty well.”  

On Feb. 6., the Mules had a senior night. There was only one senior who competed in the dual — Zion Vasquez, who wrestled at 174 pounds. Vasquez fought to win, but his opponent pinned him in 1:33 in the first period.

“I’m a failure, just didn’t look good,” Vasquez said. “We gotta come back in the post season to be tougher in the room.” 

Head coach Justin Ensign tried to help his players win, but the Jets beat most of the players. During the matches, Ensign stayed calm watching his players have a difficult time winning. 

“The match was not what I pictured it to be,” Ensign said. “I would take some of the blame because I didn’t get these guys prepared better. The goal is to see improvement from practices, and it was tough because some guys were not at their best.”

On Feb. 27., the team will send one player from each weight class to the NCAA Super Regional Tournament. Each wrestler will have a chance to compete and get a seat at the championship. They have to make the top athlete in each weight class. 

“Hopefully we will get a good training cycle in,” Ensign said. “We will be simulating a tournament style and trying to get better because everyone has different things to work on.”