UCM Students React to Election Results

After spending nearly a week awaiting the results of the 2020 presidential election, Americans will have a new president in January 2021.

Across the country, many Americans took to the streets to celebrate the announcement of former Vice President Joe Biden becoming the 46th President of the United States, while others promoted notions of election fraud.

For some UCM students, this was the first election they have paid attention to.

“I don’t really have any strong feelings one way or another,” Hannah George, a freshman open options student said. “It’s the first election I’ve been able to understand, because I’ve been too young for all of the other ones. It was crazy to hear everyone’s reaction everywhere.”

Despite Biden’s victory, some are disheartened by the support President Trump continues to receive.

“I’m disappointed to see the number of people who still voted for Trump after what he’s shown to do in the past four years, but I’m pleased with the outcome of the electoral college here,” Sam Bailey, a junior computer science student said.

Many students view Biden’s presidency as an opportunity for progress for America.

“I was very shocked but excited that there is going to be a completely different administration. There will be so many policy changes and actions that will benefit the whole country rather than just a small part of the country,” Demetrius Hampton, a senior theatre and international studies student said.

Other students said they hope for a more united country.

“I was very relieved when I saw the election results, and then, I was also excited because I feel like the past four years have been really divisive for our country,” senior theatre major Ally Fields said. “I’m really excited to see how this new administration will help the United States hopefully become more united.”