Raise the banner: Jennies win MIAA Tournament

The UCM Jennies (27-4, 18-1 in MIAA) defeated the Emporia State Hornets 82-75 at the Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City to win the MIAA Women’s Basketball Tournament. The Jennies have now won both the MIAA Regular Season and Tournament championships for the 2019-20 season.
Emporia State led 6-4 early on until UCM’s Morgan VanHyfte and Gigi McAtee each buried three pointers to give the Jennies a 10-6 lead. VanHyfte later connected again to push the Jennies out to a 14-8 lead. UCM’s Ellisha Davis later joined the three-point party with one of her own and the Jennies lead 24-16 after the first quarter. The Hornets hit some threes of their own in the second quarter to cut their deficit to 42-40 with 52 seconds left in the half. A few seconds later, UCM’s Nija Collier completed a three-point play to put the Jennies up 45-40, which would end up being the halftime score.
The Hornets came out on fire in the third quarter going on a 12-2 run to take the lead 52-47. The quarter was dominated by Emporia State as they outscored the Jennies 22-10 and led 62-55 going in the fourth. Early in to the fourth quarter, the Hornets still carried a six-point lead until UCM’s Morgan Fleming and Megan Skaggs each scored to cut the Jennies deficit to just 65-63. The Jennies finally tied the game at 73-73 with 2:40 left when Skaggs buried a three-pointer. UCM sealed the win when VanHyfte sank another three pointer with 25 seconds left to give UCM a 78-73 lead. The final score was an 82-75 UCM victory.
Collier tallied another double-double on the season with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Fleming dropped 19 points, pulled down six rebounds and dished out five assists. Skaggs scored 19 points and had eight rebounds. VanHyfte finished with 12 points including three three-pointers.