Update: Mules baseball take 2 of 3 from Bearcats

Baseball capped a seven-game homestand over the weekend in a three-game series with Northwest Missouri State. The Mules dropped a thriller in the opening game that lasted 10 innings before taking the final two games.

A seven-run Mules comeback in the eighth and ninth innings tied game one at 10 and forced extra innings. The Bearcats responded to the Mules outburst by scoring the go-ahead run in the 10th. In game two, the Mules trailed 7-3 by the midway point but put up six runs across the final three innings, including a walk-off home run from first baseman Cole Taylor, to seal it.

Game three saw the Mules take control early with two runs in the first and third innings before the Bearcats scored three of their own in the forth. A three-run seventh inning allowed the Mules to pull away and pick up their 28th win of the season.

Right fielder Erik Webb went 5/12 with 6 RBIs in the Bearcats series and leads the team in batting average (.423) and RBIs this season. Center fielder Mason Janvrin went 6/13 with 4 RBIs. The junior is hitting .409 and has played in every game this season.

The Mules traveled to Liberty, Missouri, Wednesday to face William Jewell in a midweek out-of-conference matchup. Results from the game were not available by press time.

With the regular season winding down, the Mules will begin their second to last series of the season at home this weekend against Fort Hays State at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field. Game one is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. Friday. Game two’s first pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday. First pitch for the series finale is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday.