Mules place four at Newman Jet Invitational

(WICHITA, Kan.) — University of Central Missouri Mules wrestling had four wrestlers place at the Newman Jet Invitational Sunday on the campus of Newman University at Fugate Gym.
The Mules were paced by a second-place performance from Tim Tuaquoi in the 285-pound bracket while Ty Loethen also finished in the top three, placing third at 165 pounds. Nick Viterisi finished fourth in the 149-pound bracket while Eric Mateo also picked up a fourth-place finish at 141 pounds.
Tuaquoi began his runner-up performance at 285 pounds pinning (1:00) Edward Fitzgerald of Pratt Community College in the quarterfinals after receiving a bye in the opening round. He then battled Labette Community College’s Trey Page in the semifinal round and prevailed in a tight match, winning 3-2 to earn a spot in the title match against Cody Dauphin of NCAA-II second ranked Central Oklahoma.
Tuaquoi fought hard but came up short, falling by a 3-2 decision to earn second place in the bracket and finish the day at 2-1.
Loethen started his day in the 165-pound bracket with a victory via fall (1:42) over Ouachita Baptist’s Andrew Martin to advance to the semifinals where he fell to Chris Watson of No. 2 Central Oklahoma by pin (1:00).
Loethen faced Chris Thoman of Fort Hays State in the consolation round and came away with a convincing 4-0 decision to earn a spot in the third-place match against Labette’s Devin Aguirre. The Jefferson City native won the match to claim third place, pinning Aguirre (1:45), and finished the tournament with a 3-1 record.
Viterisi earned his first victory of the day at 149 pounds after rolling to a 7-0 victory over Neosho County Community College’s Kyle Graumenz. He then battled Jordan Basks from No. 2 Central Oklahoma in the semifinals and fell via a 6-0 decision to drop him into the consolation bracket where he faced Ouachita Baptist’s Dexter Carter.
Viterisi posted a 6-4 decision to clinch a spot in the third-place match. Viterisi faced Labette’s Spencer Rutherford and came up just short, falling 8-4, to finish in fourth place with a record of 2-2.
Mateo began his day in the quarterfinals of the 141-pound bracket by defeating Trison Graham of No. 2 Central Oklahoma via an 8-2 decision to advance him to the semifinals where he fell to Fort Hays State’s CJ Napler, 9-4. Mateo battled back in the consolation fourth round by posting a 10-2 win over Miles Johns of Newman to earn a spot in the third-place match against Tyler Davis of Labette. Mateo fell 10-4 to finish in fourth place with a record of 2-2.
As a team the Mules claimed sixth place in the 11-team tournament.
The Mules return to action next Sunday and Monday when they travel to Indianapolis, Ind., to take part in the Midwest Classic.