Mules bounce back in record-setting fashion

Mules quarterback Jeremy Hunt scores on a 6-yard run in the 61-7 victory over Missouri Southern Saturday at Walton Stadium. (Photo by Peter Spexarth/For the Muleskinner)

A lot of moments stood out Saturday in Central Missouri’s 61-7 rout of Missouri Southern, but on a record-setting day for the Mules offense, senior wide receiver Kyrion Parker stole the show again with another one-handed touchdown catch.
UCM’s offense torched the Lions for a program-record 731 total yards and eight touchdowns scoring on nine of their first 10 drives. Jeremy Hunt bounced back from his four-interception game against Washburn last week going 14-23 with 359 yards, four touchdowns, one rushing touchdown and no interceptions.
On the defensive side, the Mules allowed a season-low 185 yards to the Lions and forced 10 punts. Freshmen defensive backs Azaiah Bello and Josh Rinderknecht picked up their first career interceptions for both of the Mules takeaways.
“The defense has been playing great,” Parker said. “They’re really good. I’m just happy that we have such a good defense.”
Parker said the Mules worked hard in practice during the week following last week’s loss.
“Everyone was on their toes because last week really surprised us,” he said. “We didn’t play our best game last week, but we just got back to practice and hit it.”
The Mules rushed out to a 33-0 lead in the first half before the Lions could pick up a first down. Hunt picked up a touchdown on the ground from six yards out and tossed a 59-yard touchdown to Parker in the first quarter.
Central Missouri made a change at placekicker in the second quarter after senior Alex Langer missed his third extra point in two weeks. Junior Logan Offner took over making a 25-yard field goal to give the Mules a 19-0 lead.
Sophomore Koby Wilkerson punched in a 3-yard run and freshman Shae Wyatt scored on a 55-yard pass from Hunt in the second quarter. Down 33-0, the Lions finally picked up a first down before going on to score their only touchdown to cut the Mules lead to 33-7.
It was in the last minute of the half when Hunt found Parker in the back corner of the end zone for his one-handed touchdown grab to give the Mules a 40-7 lead going into the break. 
“I was just thinking ‘Oh man, I gotta catch it’,” Parker said. “It was too pretty.”
The Mules cruised in the second half tacking on touchdowns from Wilkerson, true-freshman running back Dashawn Bates and senior tight end Seth Hebert to punctuate the 61-7 victory.

Photo by Peter Spexarth/For the Muleskinner
Senior wide receiver Kyrion Parker completes a catch over a Lions defender resulting in a 59-yard touchdown to give the Mules a 16-0 lead. Parker finished with three receptions, 111 yards and two touchdowns.

The Mules had two receivers pick up over 100 yards: Parker finished with three catches for 111 yards and two touchdowns and Wyatt picked up 123 yards on two catches with a touchdown. Hebert grabbed four passes for 59 yards.
“Our yards after catch was really good today,” head coach Jim Svoboda said. “When our kids got to the second level, they often didn’t get brought down by one guy. Really good effort by our kids, we’re really proud when they play like that.”
Wilkerson was the lead rusher for the Mules with 79 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns. Sophomore Devante Turner picked up 51 yards on 14 carries.
The Mules record is now 3-2 and they are locked in a three-way tie for fourth place in the MIAA with Missouri Western and Nebraska-Kearney. Pittsburg State is the only unbeaten team remaining in the conference with Fort Hays State and Northwest Missouri State tied for second at 4-1. Central Missouri has a tough road ahead if they want to make it to the MIAA Championship game with every remaining game critical to the team’s postseason aspirations.
“It’s going to be a grind,” Parker said. “I’m very excited and looking forward to the rest of it.”
The Mules will face Central Oklahoma on the road this week. The Bronchos are 2-3 on the season following a 15-0 loss to Fort Hays State but handed Northwest its only loss in week 3.
Kickoff between the Mules and Bronchos is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday at Wantland Stadium in Edmond, Oklahoma.