Mules look to make it three straight on the road

Mules football looks to make its win streak three games on the road against Washburn at 1 p.m. Saturday in Topeka, Kansas. (Photo by Peter Spexarth/For the Muleskinner)

No. 19 Central Missouri football is on the road this weekend in Topeka, Kansas, for a matchup with the Washburn Ichabods. The Mules look to extend their winning streak to three games.
The Mules quarterback situation has cleared up with redshirt freshman Jeremy Hunt playing all but the fourth quarter in last week’s 51-14 victory over Missouri Western. Hunt threw four touchdown passes to four different receivers and no interceptions to earn his first MIAA Offensive Player of the Week award. 
Hunt said he has adjusted well to his new roll despite only working as the starter for a couple weeks.
“I feel very comfortable,” he said. “The offensive line has been absolutely outstanding. They’re giving me so much time back there to really get into my groove.”
Central Missouri’s offense has been rolling despite the uncertainty at quarterback after an opening-week injury to Brook Bolles, racking up over 500 yards in each game this season. Sophomore running backs Devante Turner and Koby Wilkerson are anchoring the Mules backfield averaging over 5 yards per carry each. True freshman Dashawn Bates tossed his number in the backfield rotation after a breakout 60-yard touchdown run against Northeastern State in week two.
Hunt said the Mules backfield still has a lot to show this season.
“They haven’t even really gotten started yet,” Hunt said. “It is really nice knowing that I can give them the ball and something good will happen.”
Six different Mules receivers have caught touchdown passes and three different quarterbacks have thrown them. Senior Kyrion Parker has found the end zone in all three games and is on pace to break his career highs in receptions, yards and touchdowns. All-American tight end Seth Hebert has scored twice despite only recording five receptions.
“We’re all on the same page and throwing a lot all day long,” Hunt said. “Its nice knowing that whoever’s out there is gonna make a play.”

Photo by Peter Spexarth/For the Muleskinner

Mules defensive lineman Ubong Udom celebrating his second sack of the season in a 51-14 victory over Missouri Western Saturday at Walton Stadium.

The defensive side on the ball has seen improvement from last season as well. The Mules have not surrendered more than 20 points or 350 yards so far this season. After Fort Hays State managed 327 yards, Northeastern State and Missouri Western failed to reach 250 yards against Central Missouri’s defense.
“We’re less selfish this year so we don’t really have to gap out because we can just make our own plays,” junior linebacker Kolesen Crane said. “I think we’ve improved a lot as a defense, just tackling and knowing where we should be on each play.”
Crane leads the Mules in solo tackles with 13 and has one sack. Sophomore linebacker Carter Nicoli and defensive linemen Ubong Udom lead the team in sacks with two apiece.
“I like playing defense, so it doesn’t matter if I make the tackle or my boy next to me gets it,” Crane said. “It feels good obviously to get out there and run around. I love playing inside because I get more freedom.”
The Ichabods have dropped to 1-2 after a season opening victory over Lindenwood, losing to Northwest Missouri State and in a close contest with Fort Hays. Washburn is led on offense by junior quarterback Blake Peterson, a transfer from Division I Texas State. Peterson has been shaky at best this season, completing 48 percent of his passes and only two touchdowns with four interceptions.
Hunt said the Mules recognize their situation and know what they need to do going forward in the season.
“Its gonna be a good season. We know we have to win out to get where we want,” Hunt said. “We’re playing with a chip on our shoulder. Our defense has proved themselves and the offense just needs to keep doing what we’re doing.”
Kick off between the Mules and Ichabods is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at Yager Stadium in Topeka.

View Comments (2)