Jennies remain top team to open season

Jennies soccer begins the season ranked first in the country following their 2017 national championship. (Photo by Molly Burnam/Photo Editor)

A lot has changed in the near nine months since the Jennies became national champions in 2017. As a new season begins in 2018, the Jennies are still regarded as the best team in the country.
In addition to being ranked first in the United Soccer Coaches preseason rankings, Central Missouri was also selected to win its fifth consecutive MIAA championship in the conference’s coaches poll, where the Jennies received 11 first place votes.
The Jennies won every game they played in 2017, going 26-0 en route to the national championship. Perception around the country is the Jennies possess the same caliber of talent to enjoy success similar to last season.
Senior forward Jada Scott said the team isn’t holding on to last season and is looking forward to getting better this season.
“We’re looking forward to the team and what we want to accomplish this year,” she said. “We just put last year behind us and started focusing on getting better for this one.”
Despite losing key players like goaltender Ana Dilkes, forward Abby Rhodes and six other seniors, the Jennies retain 19 players from last season while adding nine players in the offseason. Three of those seniors were top-5 scorers for the Jennies in 2017, leaving Scott and sophomore forward Makayla Toth to lead the offense.

Photo by Molly Burnam/Photo Editor

Sophomore forward Makayla Toth scored 11 goals in her freshman season and was a top-5 scorer for the Jennies.

“I think it’ll be a little bit different but I’m ready to prove people wrong,” Scott said.
Goaltending is the position where the Jennies should feel the most uncertainty as they will be without Dilkes for the first time since 2014. Dilkes is one of the most decorated goaltenders to play college soccer, as her name is all over the NCAA’s record books with unreal career numbers in shutouts (64), save percentage (91 percent) and goals against average (.37 goals per game).
After Dilkes, the Jennies goaltending situation is hard to grasp. Redshirt junior Jordyn Atagi is the only goaltender on the Jennies roster with game experience in college, appearing in three games and not allowing a goal over two seasons. Behind Atagi are a handful of freshmen looking for a chance to prove themselves. 
The Jennies are hopeful despite the departures of key players. Toth said that the team is ready for another great year.
“I think we’re still going to be a great team. We have a lot of good players coming in and a lot returning,” Toth said. “I think we’re going to be the team we’ve always been.”
Scott’s experience alludes to her responsibility as a leader on the team, but she stressed the importance of everyone being a leader.
“There isn’t a lot of pressure to be one, but a lot of people look up to me because I’m the oldest here,” Scott said. “At the same time, I think everyone on our team is a leader. What you put out will reflect on your character.”
The Jennies open the season at 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, on the road against Southwestern Oklahoma State. The first home game is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 2, against Augustana at the South Recreation Complex.