Mules takedown Benedictine in first dual of season

(ATCHISON, Kan.) — The Mules wrestling team took a convincing 28-13 win over the Ravens of Benedictine College Thursday night at Ralph Nolan Gym in its first dual meet of the season.
The Mules got wins from Nick Viterisi (149), Ty Loethen (165), Todd Brier (184), Tim Tuaquoi (285), Laramie Allembaugh (125), and Anthony Henely (133).
Viterisi won his match at 149 pounds by a major decision over the Raven’s Zack McClure to put the Mules ahead early, 4-3.
Benedictine took the next bout at 157 pounds to regain the lead at 6-4 before Loethen won his bout at 165 pounds by pinning Benedictine’s Hunter Stalford, giving UCM the 10-6 advantage.
The Ravens came within one, 10-9, after posting a decision in overtime, but Brier gave the Mules a comfortable 16-9 lead after he pinned the Ravens’ Darien Willis in the 184-pound bout.
The Ravens won the next bout at 197 pounds to come within three, 16-13, but Tuaquoi gave the Mules a commanding 20-13 lead after he took a 7-0 major decision at 285 pounds.
The Mules weren’t done as Allembaugh posted a 9-6 decision at 125 pounds and Henely finished the meet with a 18-3 technical fall win at 133 pounds.
The Mules return to the mats Saturday when they travel to Indianola, Iowa, for the Simpson Invitational.