Mules mount second-half comeback against SBU for 78-76 win

(BOLIVAR, MO) – The Mules basketball team used a strong second half to beat MIAA foe Southwest Baptist 78-76 Saturday.
With the win, the Mules have won two straight games and improve 9-2 overall with a 2-1 MIAA record.
Game Summary
• Three Mules scored in double figures as the team shot 41.5 percent (22-53) and held off the Bearcats (5-5, 1-2 MIAA) who shot 53.3 percent from the floor (24-45).
• The Mules got off to a slow start, missing their first three shots, but they did go 4-4 from the charity strip to start and led 4-2 early on.
• UCM used a quick 5-0 run to grab their largest first half at eight points. A three by Blake Spellman and a layup from Duane Clark Jr. gave UCM the 14-6 lead with 13:05 to play.
• The Bearcats found some rhythm and went on a 10-2 run to tie the game at 16-16 midway through the first half.
• The Mules opened the game up with a 7-0 run to lead 25-19 with 6:30 to play in the half, but the Bearcats answered it with an 8-0 run to go up 27-25 with 4:32 to play.
• The two teams traded buckets for the final four minutes, but the Mules took a one point lead, 37-36, into the break with a buzzer beating triple by Spencer Reaves.
• The Bearcats grabbed the momentum to start the second half with a 9-2 run to lead the Mules 45-39.The Mules trailed by as much as the 10, 51-41, in the second half.
• UCM struggled to score yet again in the first 10 minutes of the second, scoring just 11 points. With 9:48 to play in the game, the Mules finally got things going and used a pair of runs, 9-0 and 5-0, to get back in the game late.
• The 9-0 run was ignited with a pair of made free throws by Spellman while Reaves and Jakob Lowrance added a jumper and triple, respectively, and DJ Richardson also sunk a pair of free throws. With the run, UCM tied the game 56-56.
• The Mules 5-0 run gave them the lead at 64-60 with 5:52 to play and they never relinquished it. SBU got it within one a few times, but late shots help secure the Mules two point win.
• The game came down all the way to the final seconds. Lowrance hit a three from the top of the key to give UCM a 77-73 lead and a Spellman went 1-2 at the free throw line after a made SBU three to secure the 78-76 win.
Mules Stat Leaders
• Reaves scored a game-high 21 points while shooting 7-11 from the floor with four made triples on six attempts. He also grabbed three rebounds and dished out three assists.
• Lowrance was not far behind Reaves with 18 points on 6-9 shooting with three made triples. He grabbed four rebounds to tie the team lead.
• Richardson was the final Mule to score in double-digits. He chipped in 11 points with eight coming from the free throw line. He was a perfect 8-8 at the charity strip and had a game-high three steals.
• Spellman put up eight points and dished out four assists.
For the Bearcats
• Cartier Dean was leading scorer for SBU with 19 points. He also grabbed four rebounds and handed out a game-high five assists.
• Chris Rossow poured in 17 points while grabbing four rebounds and dishing out five assists
• Damian Prgomet did not miss a shot (5-5) to finish with 12 points. He grabbed six boards and had a blocked shot.
• Marlon Alcindor chipped in 11 points and grabbed five rebounds for the Bearcats.
News and Notes
• The Mules are now 44-23 all-time against the Bearcats and 17-14 on the road.
• This is the first game of the season the Mules have won where did not shoot the ball better than their opponent, percentage-wise. They were 0-2 prior to Saturday’s win.
• UCM is 37-26 in MIAA play under Doug Karleskint and now 3-3 in games decided by two points under him.
• The Mules start off 1-0 on the road this season and are now 18-17 in road games under Doug Karleskint.
Up Next
• The Mules are back in action Dec. 30 when they host NAIA school Missouri Valley College at the Multipurpose Building. Tip-off against the Vikings is set for 2 p.m.