Jens win fourth straight Thursday

The first half Thursday between the Jennies and the Missouri Western Griffons was a sluggish 20 minutes that didn’t reach a combined 50 points.
However, the second half saw UCM score 45 points on their way to their fourth straight win, 70-48. The Jens move to 2-0 in the MIAA and 7-1 overall.

Game Summary:
• The Jennies shot a season-best 54.3 percent from the floor (25-46) and held the Griffons to just 34 percent, the fourth straight game UCM has held an opponent below 45 percent shooting.
• UCM also did a great job under the basket. The Jennies out-rebounded MWSU 34-27 and had 34 points in the paint.
• 21 of the Jennies 70 points came off turnovers and they scored 10 fast break points.
• The Jens shot 15 more free throws and went 15-24 from the line while MWSU was a perfect 9-9.
• In a low scoring first half, the Jennies held a 25-24 lead at the break. Neither team was able to get much going offensively with both teams turning it over at least 10 times.
• Sydney Crockett helped the offense out with big three pointers, first with just 26 seconds left in the first to give the Jens a 15-13 lead, and then again near the end of the half to again put UCM on top 23-22.
• The second half is where UCM came alive, shooting 66.7 percent and 3-for-6 from three.
• UCM started to break away in the third period, connecting on three three-pointers. Kelsey Williams started it off on their first possession of the half. Megan Skaggs gave the Jens a seven-point lead and then extended that to 13 with her second of the period with 3:44 left in the frame.
• The Jennies outscored the Griffons 28-7 in the third and were able to trade baskets in the fourth, picking up their fourth straight win.

• Central Missouri led by just one at the break, but stormed out in the third period. Kelsey Williams kicked things off with a three on UCM’s first possession. And from the 8:37 mark to 1:24, the Jennies outscored MWSU 21-2, book-ended by free throws from Morgan Fleming.
Jennies Stat Leaders
• Eleven was the magic number for the Jennies. Megan Skaggs and Morgan Fleming each scored 11 points and Kayonna Lee grabbed 11 rebounds.
• Lee also scored nine points connecting on three field goals and three free throws
• Skaggs scored six of her 11 from behind the arc, connecting on 2-of-4 attempts.
• Sydney Crockett and Kelsey Williams were also in double-figures with 10 points each. Crockett knocked in a pair from three as well.
• Williams didn’t miss a shot all night, going 4-for-4 from the field with a three and a made free throw.
• Paige Redmond chipped in with nine points and dished out six assists.
For the Griffons
• Three Griffons were in double-figures led by Melia Richardson’s 13 points. Dossou Ndiaye scored 12 and Cera Ledbetter added 11.
• Ndiaye added five rebounds to lead the team as well.
• Richardson went 4-4 at the free throw line.
• Brittany Atkins scored six points and passed out four assists.
News and Notes
• The game played out similarly to the last time these two teams met, just one quarter ahead. Last season, the two were tied headed into the fourth when UCM outscored MWSU 22-2. This time it was the third. Leading by one, UCM outscored Missouri Western 28-7.
• The game was the end of a season-long six-game home stand. Central Missouri went 5-1 during the six home games.
• The Griffons defense gives up an average 53.7 points per game. The 70 UCM scored was the second most they’ve allowed all season.
• MWSU on average forces 23.9 turnovers per game. It was the Jennies who did the damage in this one, forcing 17 and turning it over just 15 times, nearly nine under the average for the Griffons.
• Sydney Crockett scored her 400th career point.
• Kayonna Lee blocked two shots for the sixth straight games.
• This is the fourth straight game UCM has held an opponent to fewer than 10 points in at least one quarter.
Up Next
• Central Missouri will wrap up the MIAA portion of their schedule in 2017 with their first road contest of the season Saturday when they take on Southwest Baptist in Bolivar. Tip-off is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.