Sports Updates: Vol. 112 Issue 14

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) –
Kylie Hohlen chosen as D2CCA All-Region Libero
Jennies volleyball junior libero Kylie Hohlen was selected to the All-Central Region Team by the Division II Conference Commissioner’s Association.
Hohlen, from Roca, Neb., led the Jennies and the MIAA with 6.20 digs per set and was ninth in all of Division II. She also passed out 87 assists and knocked 29 service aces in addition to carrying a 97.2 percent reception percentage with 515 receptions on 530 attempts.
Hohlen was also selected as the MIAA’s First Team Libero earlier this month, marking her third consecutive year making the All-Conference team. This is her first All-Region award and the Jennies’ first since 2015. She is the first junior to receive the D2CCA All-Region Award since Carly Sojka and Annie Reilly in 2014.
Jennies Basketball Remains 12th in WBCA
Central Missouri Jennies Basketball went 1-0 last week with an 81-30 win against Evangel and this week they remain at No. 12 in the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Rankings.
The Jennies started the season ranked 13th in the preseason poll, and moved up a spot a week ago to No. 12, after starting the season at 3-1.
The top 5 in the rankings all remain the same from last week. Ashland received 24 first-place votes and are ranked first. They are followed, in order, by Alaska-Anchorage, Bentley, California (PA) and West Texas A&M.
The Jennies are the highest ranked MIAA team in the poll. Pittsburg State comes in at No. 19 while Central Oklahoma is 21st. Emporia State, who last week was ranked 22nd, fell out of this week’s rankings.
Spencer Reaves Named MIAA Co-Athlete of the Week
For the second time in his career, Mules Basketball senior Spencer Reaves has been named the MIAA Athlete of the Week after his performance in the Mules’ three wins this past week. Reaves was named a Co-Athlete of the Week, sharing the honor with Yashua Trent of Nebraska-Kearney.
The Newark, Ark. native scored 62 points for the week in addition to grabbing 16 rebounds, dishing out six assists and coming up with five steals.
Tuesday against East Central at historic Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Reaves led the Mules to a win over the in-region rival by scoring a season-high 30 points, going 11-for-17 from the field and grabbing six boards. He followed that up with another 20+ point performance Friday, putting up 22 on 9-for-13 shooting in a win against Rockhurst. Reaves wrapped up the week with a 10-point, six-rebound effort in a win against Newman on Saturday.
For the week, Reaves went 22-of-37 (59.5%) from the floor, 6-of-14 (42.9%) from three and sunk 12-of-14 (85.7%) free throw attempts. His final averages for the week come out to 20.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, two assists, and 1.6 steals per game.
The Mules were victorious in all three wins and are currently riding a four game winning streak. They’ll carry that winning streak into next week when they play their next game at 6 p.m. Dec. 5 against Baker at the Multi. Fans who bring four canned or nonperishable food items will receive free admission to the game.
Jennies Roll to 78-43 Win over Harris-Stowe
No. 12 Central Missouri Jennies Basketball picked up where they left off before the Thanksgiving break, cruising to a 78-43 win over NAIA opponent, Harris-Stowe. The win is the Jennies second in a row and puts them at 5-1 this season.
The Jennies jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead early, kick started by a Jolene Shipps jumper that connected just eight seconds into the game, and the Jens led the rest of the way. HSSU kept it as close as they could, trailing 32-21 at halftime, but the Jens were able to separate themselves in the second half. The Jens held HSSU to 11 points in each of the final two quarters while scoring 25 of their own in the third. UCM capped off the quarter with a 15-2 run in the final 4:27 to stretch their lead from 12 to 25 and put the game out of reach.
Just about everyone got in on the action once again with all 13 that suited up seeing time on the floor and 12 scoring at least one point. Paige Redmond led the Jens with her first 20-point game of the season putting up a game-high 24 on 9-of-12 shooting including 3-for-6 from behind the arc. Sydney Crockett chipped in with 11 points as she heated up in the second half with 10, including splashing a pair of triples. Kayonna Lee filled out the stat sheet with a team leading 14 rebounds, eight points, four assists, three steals and two blocks. Megan Skaggs added eight points as well and hit two three-pointers while blocking two shots on defense. Morgan Fleming scored seven points and dished out two assists with four rebounds.
UCM shot 45.2 percent from the floor going 28-for-62. They hit 10 three-pointers (10-28) and were 12-of-18 at the free throw line. Central Missouri got off to a slow start in the rebounding department, but finished with a plus-six edge. At the half, Harris-Stowe held a 29-21 advantage in the rebound column over UCM. The Jens turned that around to the tune of 26-12 advantage in in half number two including eight on the offensive glass. The Jennies defense was in full effect as the Hornets shot just 24.2 percent (16-for-66) from the floor and 10 percent (2-for-20) from three. The Jennies also forced 19 Hornet turnover and blocked five shots. It was far from a perfect game for UCM as they too committed 19 turnovers. The Jens also got into some foul trouble with 15, sending HSSU to the line 16 times.
Central Missouri gets to rest up for a bit. They start MIAA next weekend when they welcome Northwest Missouri to Warrensburg.