Jennies basketball open season with win over Webster

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — Five players scored in double figures as the Central Missouri Jennies defeated the Webster (Mo.) Gorlocks, 92-49, Saturday afternoon at the Multipurpose Building.
Junior guard BreAnna Lewis led the attack with 19 points.
The Jennies shot 36-of-72 from the field, while holding Webster to just 18-of-60, and forcing 27 Gorlock turnovers. After playing as one of the MIAA and national leaders in three-point shooting, the Jens used the inside game to get the win, taking only nine three-point shots throughout the game.
Forward Nicole Caddell scored the first points of the 2012-13 season, with a pair of free throws in the opening minutes to give the Jens an early 2-0 lead. UCM took their biggest lead in the early moments of the game off a trey from Lewis, giving the Jennies a 11-5 advantage.
After five quick points from the Gorlocks, Central Missouri took an 11-2 run, highlighted by six points from junior Symone Murray, to build a double-digit lead at 22-12 at the 8:12 mark of the first half.
Central Missouri scored the last eight points of the first half, taking a 45-25 lead into the break. UCM scored 21 points off turnovers in the first half, off 14 Webster turnovers.
Caddell, along with freshman Shelby Winkelmann, went into the locker room in double figures, scoring 10 points apiece in the first half.
A 7-1 run for the Gorlocks to open up the second half cut the Jens lead to 14, at 46-32. UCM responded immediately, scoring on nine straight possessions and ultimately going on a 26-0 run and taking a 72-32 lead with just under nine minutes to play.
Webster’s Cassie Endicott hit a jumpber on the next possession to make it 72-34, but that would be as close as they would get the rest of the way.
Winkelmann finished with 16 points, just behind Lewis’ game-high 19. Caddell finished with 15, while juniors Quinnecia Twine and Murray finished with 11 and 10 points in their Jennies’ debuts respectively.
Caddell, a senior from Tuscaloosa, Ala., nearly earned the Jens’ first double-double of the season, pulling down nine rebounds in the win. She also finished with a game-high three blocks and three steals.
Senior Erin Redmond, making her first appearance after suffering a season-ending injury last year, led the Jennies with four assists. She also scored five points.
Seven Jennies earned at least two steals in the game, with Caddell and Winkelmann picking up three apiece to lead the team.
The win marks the fifth straight season-opening victory for the Jens, and puts UCM at 8-1 in season openers in the Dave Slifer era.
UCM returns to the court on Monday, Nov. 12, when they host NAIA foe Evangel (Mo.). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.