Student athletes share their karaoke talents

By ALLYSON COOK
Reporter
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Multipurpose Building was filled with grannies, Disney characters, a gorilla and Olympic swimmers on Monday, Sept. 19 as UCM’s athletic teams and spirit squads competed in the 11th annual Student-Athletic Advisory Committee Karaoke Competition.
The competition has two winners, one for the Mules and one for the Jennies. Teams competed to take home a microphone trophy and bragging rights. For the first time in three years the Jennies track and field team was taken down by the Jennies basketball team, who took home the trophy with their Rio-themed karaoke routine.
The Mulekickers came in second for the second year in a row with their Bingo Night routine, where they dressed up as grandmas and grandpas. Jennies third place was given to track and field for their routine that depicted the life of a Jennie.
“We practiced for about two weeks and I’d say at least two to three times a week,” said Jayda Hill, junior sprinter for Jennies track and field.
Cross country placed first for the Mule’s side of the competition. They did a Kanye West mix with a tribute to the gorilla Harambe. Mules track and field took second with a Justin Timberlake mix, which included smooth moves and some confetti poppers. Mules basketball placed third for their Beyoncé routine, which involved lots of hip shaking.
The competition allowed the teams to show off their hidden talents, such as Ashley Burton, freshman thrower, who sang “Feeling Good” along with Spencer Reaves, junior Mules basketball guard, who played guitar while Louis Reinmiller, sophomore guard, sang “Halo.” The teams choreographed up to five minutes of karaoke routines and went all out with their costumes, completely committing to their characters.
“I love the atmosphere,” said Kyle Wolf, senior forward for Mules basketball. “It is a lot of fun to go and watch everyone perform and show off their songs.”
The bleachers were not only filled with student athletes, but non-athletes as well.
“My favorite part is seeing all the creativity with the costumes and the energy each team puts into their performances,” said junior Jennifer Sanders.
SAAC partnered with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and took donations during the competition. The Jennies soccer team will be selling bracelets within the next few weeks, with proceeds also going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.