UCM center for multiculturalism and inclusion to open

By TARA NAPOLEONE-CLIFFORD
Guest Columnist

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The start of the fall semester at UCM is always an exciting time of the year. Students, faculty, staff and community members walk around campus looking at the additions and changes, wondering what will be around the corner.

Tara Napoleone-Clifford
Tara Napoleone-Clifford

This semester, there is a great deal to celebrate. We are tremendously excited to announce the opening of the new Center for Multiculturalism and Inclusion at UCM. Additionally, we are pleased to welcome our new multicultural outreach specialist, Alesha Bowman, to her new position. All of this means that our center will be up and functioning in a very short time. The MAPS team welcomes Alesha and looks forward to applying good, intentional and authentic student support with you.

Located on the third floor of the Elliott Student Union, CMI will eventually house both myself and Alesha with the possibility of a few graduate assistants. Other improvements to the space include two reservable classrooms, organizational storage and an office with four work cubicles. Other multimedia improvements include Wi-Fi, HD televisions and tables where you can charge your personal electronics.

The CMI team is excited to get busy collaborating with entities across campus with the common goal of education. A diverse array of co-curricular activities are happening every day on our campus, and the new CMI offers space where these groups can advertise, host events and even partner for collaboration. Educating students and the campus community is the focus of this center. The long-term goals include supporting underrepresented student groups in their academic endeavors, resulting in raising the retention and graduation rates as well as slowly beginning to change the culture so all community members feel accepted and that they belong.

The center is located in the space directly south of the English Language Center on the third floor of the Union. We are open to the community for informal meeting space, study space, lunch or just to inquire about the infinite possibilities we can create together.

Tara Napoleone-Clifford is the IDEAS Coordinator for the UCM Office of Mentoring, Advocacy and Peer Support.

View Comments (1)