Foltynewicz leads way, Braves top Cardinals

By R.B. FALLSTROM
Associated Press
(ST. LOUIS, AP) — Mike Foltynewicz worked six strong innings, Nick Markakis and Erick Aybar had two RBIs apiece and the Atlanta Braves kept the St. Louis Cardinals down at home with a 6-3 victory on Sunday.
Matt Kemp added two hits and an RBI to help the Braves take two of three, outscoring the Cardinals 19-8 the last two games. Atlanta has the worst record in the majors at 41-70, but has won seven of its last 11 overall.
Adam Wainwright (9-6) had a rare off-day against Atlanta, surrendering three runs in the first and second. He entered 8-2 with a 2.95 ERA against the Braves, who drafted him in the first round in 2000 and traded him to St. Louis in 2003 in a deal for J.D. Drew.
The Cardinals are just 26-32 at home after going 55-26 last season, but have been good on the road at 32-21.
Brandon Moss had a sacrifice fly and double and Yadier Molina had three hits and an RBI for St. Louis.
Foltynewicz (5-5) gave up a run and six hits. In his previous three outings, he allowed 14 earned runs in 16 1-3 innings.
Jim Johnson earned his eighth save in 11 chances.
Braves third baseman Adonis Garcia made an outstanding stab down the line to turn a double play on Jhonny Peralta in the sixth.
After needing 61 pitches to get through the first two innings, Wainwright finished strong with four scoreless innings. But the Cardinals stranded five runners the first two innings.
STILL STREAKING
Atlanta’s Ender Inciarte singled and scored in the second and has an 18-game hitting streak, matching his career best set in 2014. Aybar had a two-run triple in the second and has hit in 12 straight.
ROSTER UTILIZATION
Braves RHP Madison Younginer was put straight to work after his contract was purchased from Triple-A Gwinnett and he had a rough debut, allowing two runs while getting two outs. Atlanta claimed RHP Chaz Roe off waivers from the Orioles and designated OF-IF Brandon Snyder for assignment.
TRAINER’S ROOM
Cardinals: 2B Matt Carpenter was not in the lineup a day after getting removed with apparent side muscle difficulties. He was activated off the DL on Friday after missing 24 games with a strained right oblique.
UP NEXT
Braves: Rob Whalen (1-0, 7.20) makes his second career start on Monday, working the opener of a four-game series at Milwaukee.
Cardinals: Michael Wacha (7-7, 4.35) has won his last five decisions heading into the opener of a three-game series against the Reds.