State Fair equine competitions begin Thursday

(SEDALIA, Mo.) – Missouri State Fair competitions are scheduled to begin Thursday, starting with the 4-H and FFA Horse Show, followed by the Society Horse Show Tuesday, Aug. 2.
“These two shows are held in advance of the fair, in part due to the significant number of entries hosted during the 11-day Fair,” fair director Mark Wolfe said. “Equine shows are an important part of the Missouri State Fair competition schedule.”
Show classes for 4-H and FFA youth are scheduled for Thursday through Sunday, under the direction of superintendent Debbie Davis. The events will begin at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Coliseum, and continue with an 8 a.m. start time Friday in the Mathewson Exhibition Center. Start times for shows on Saturday will be 7 a.m. in the Coliseum and Donnelly Arena, with an 8 a.m. start time in the Mathewson Exhibition Center. Shows will start at 7 a.m. Sunday in the Coliseum and 8 a.m. in the Mathewson Exhibition Center.
The events are free and open to the public, according to a news release.
Society Horse Show events will be held Aug. 2-6, managed by superintendent David Owens. The Walking Horse, Spotted Saddle Horse and Open Gaited Horse divisions begin at 6 p.m. Aug. 2. The competitions will continue with start times of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily, Aug. 3-6. New Academy classes will be offered on the afternoon of Aug. 6. All events will be held in the Mathewson Exhibition Center.
The Society Horse Show will also host two annual ceremonies on the fairgrounds. The first ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 5, recognizing the Logan Family for their years of participation in the show. The second ceremony will be held at approximately 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 6, recognizing the Five-Gaited Grand Championships.
Equine competitions continue through the 11-day fair. The miniature mule show will take place in the MFA Arena at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 12. Later that evening, the Draft Mule Show will start at 7 p.m. in the Coliseum. The following day will feature mule shows, starting with the Open Mule Show at 8 a.m. and ending with the Jumping Mules and Mule Game Classes at 6:30 p.m. All mule shows on Saturday, Aug. 13, will be held in the Mathewson Exhibition Center.
Donkeys at the Missouri State Fair show for one day, beginning at 8 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 14, in the MFA Arena. Upon conclusion of this show will be the Miniature Donkey Show.
The Mathewson Exhibition Center will host the Draft Horse Shows starting Aug. 17 with the Draft Horse Sled Pull at 5 p.m. Aug. 17; the Gypsy Horse Show starting at 9 a.m. Aug. 18-19; Belgian, Percheron and Clydesdale Shows start at 8 a.m. Aug 20; and the Pony Pull starting at 1 p.m. Aug. 20. The Draft Horse Hitches will take place at 6 p.m. Aug. 19 and 20. Draft Horse Hitches will close the fair starting at 1 p.m. Sunday Aug. 21 and will include a new eight-horse hitch class.
Complete schedules for all shows are available in the online premium guide.
The 114th Missouri State Fair, themed “See What Crops Up” will be held Aug. 11-21 in Sedalia. For more information about concerts, events and other Fair activities, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the fair on Facebook and Twitter, or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).