Missouri university professor works on carbon dioxide device

(COLUMBIA, Mo., AP) — A University of Missouri professor is working with two students to create a device to remove carbon dioxide from the emissions of fossil fuel power plants.

William Jacoby is an associate professor of bioengineering and chemical engineering, The Columbia Daily Tribune (http://bit.ly/29u0xbd) reports.
Jacoby says the process involves channeling power plant emissions through a chamber that uses high pressure to separate carbon dioxide from other gasses. Jacoby says initial tests have had positive results.
According to Jacoby, he hopes that the technology can work at coal power plants or any facility that uses fossil fuel. He said the key is constructing a separator that is capable of handling the amount of emissions power plants produce.
Once the carbon dioxide has been separated, Jacoby said it would be injected deep underground.
The professor’s plan is to begin testing at the University of Missouri Power Plant within the next six months.
Doctoral student Allen Busick, who is working with Jacoby on the project, says the process costs about 25 percent less than any method of carbon capture currently in use.
Post-doctoral researcher Reza Espanani is also working on the project and said “it is fantastic when you are working on a project with such potential and solving the problems step by step.”
The project recently received a $50,000 grant from the university system.
Jim Wilbur, managing engineer at the school’s power plant, said he has been consulting with Jacoby about testing the process.
“I see a lot of promise with the equipment, especially if it’s a useful resource for industry,” Wilbur said.
___
Information from: Columbia Daily Tribune, http://www.columbiatribune.com.