Jennies advance to MIAA Tournament semifinals with shootout win

Written by Muleskinner Staff

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — Jennies soccer battled to a 2-2 draw against Southwest Baptist after two overtime periods, and then advanced to the MIAA Tournament semifinals with a thrilling 3-1 penalty kick shootout victory Tuesday night at the South Recreation Complex.
It was the first penalty kick shootout for the Jennies (14-1-4) since 2007 and the first shootout victory in Jennies soccer history.
The Bearcats (7-9-3) struck first in the match in the 15th minute when Karla Jamison slid a corner kick from Amy Bolton into the back of the net, giving SBU the 1-0 advantage, a lead they would retain going into halftime.
The Jennies knotted the match in the 65th minute when Audrey Copenhaver hammered a cross from Carly Stanley into the left corner of the net. Just five minutes later, the Jennies took a 2-1 lead when Becky Lackey sent a short pass that deflected off SBU keeper Paige Hemphill and bounced right to her sister, Cindy Lackey, who blasted it home.
The Bearcats found an equalizer two minutes later though courtesy of an own goal from the Jennies.
The score remained tied as each team battled the remaining 19 minutes in regulation but neither team could find the net, and the match headed to extra time.
The Jennies nearly scored the winner during the first extra time period, but Alexis Robbers‘ shot glanced off the goal post and out of play. The Bearcats faced a similar fate in the second extra time period when Karla Jamison’s wide-open shot bounced off the cross-bar and harmlessly out of play.
The match officially ended in a 2-2 draw but in order to determine who advanced to the MIAA Tournament semifinals, the match went to the penalty-kick shootout.
The Jennies sent Kayla Shain up for the first attempt and she drilled it past Hemphill, giving the Jens the 1-0 advantage. SBU evened the shootout with its first attempt on a kick from Camala James. Kelsie Hanson was next up for the Cardinal and Black and easily converted to put UCM back in front, 2-1.
Bolton was next up for Southwest Baptist and kicked her shot just wide of the goal, allowing the Jennies to maintain a 2-1 advantage. Nicki Wisnasky was the third Jennie in the shootout. Wisnasky sent a powerful kick but SBU’s Hemphill guessed right and saved the attempt, keeping the match at 2-1. Southwest Baptist then sent Jamison into the box for an attempt. Jennies’ goalkeeper Morgan Hartzler predicted correctly on where Jamison would place the PK, saving the shot to keep the Jennie lead intact.
Jenna Stones was next for Central Missouri and she caught Hemphill guessing wrong and converted, giving the Jens the 3-1 lead. The Bearcats had one last chance to keep the shootout going but Hartzler again guessed right and saved Halee Ruckman’s attempt, sealing the Jennies 3-1 shootout victory.
The Jennies controlled the match in terms of shots, outshooting SBU 27-9, and corner kicks, posting an 8-3 advantage over the Bearcats. Hartzler improved her record in-goal to 7-0-2 and made three saves during the match.
With the shootout win, the Jennies advance to the MIAA Tournament semifinals and, by virtue of being the highest remaining seed, will host the semifinals and championship at the South Recreation Complex. The Jens will face Northeastern State at 3 p.m. Friday in the first of two semifinal matches. The other match will pit Central Oklahoma against Fort Hays State at 6 p.m.