Sorority chapter raises funds for Arthritis Foundation

By ALLYSON COOK
Reporter
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Alpha Omicron Pi’s Strike Out Arthritis was a homerun.
They raised $2,500 for arthritis research April 2.
Strike Out Arthritis, a kickball tournament, took place at the South Recreation Complex. The tournament was originally scheduled for March 13 but Alyssa Kinnison, Alpha Omicron Pi’s vice president of philanthropy, was forced to reschedule the event due to excessive rain. Before the date change 21 teams had signed up, but only 10 were able to after the event was rescheduled. Kinnison said this was a good turnout under the circumstances.
Alpha Omicron Pi raised $900 more than they did last year for the Arthritis Foundation. Besides the kickball tournament, they also sold raffle tickets, with prizes ranging from business gift cards to a Kate Spade wristlet and a Bose speaker.
The teams were comprised of mostly Greek life students with the winning team being The Carl Mayne’s, made up of men from Alpha Kappa Lambda.
“It was very laid back and everyone was having a good time,” said Joe McDevitt, Alpha Kappa Lambda. “There was always entertaining music playing and people to socialize with.”
Alpha Omicron Pi chapters across the nation host a kickball tournament like this one to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation.
“It’s fun to think that we are a small part of the big picture,” said Kayla Huftless, junior member of Alpha Omicron Pi.
More than 50 million Americans have arthritis, making it the leading cause of disability in the U.S., according to the Arthritis Foundation’s website. Not only does arthritis affect adults, it also affects 300,000 children in the U.S. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis and autoimmune deficiencies linked together according to the Arthritis Foundation.
Strike Out Arthritis is just one event Alpha Omicron Pi holds to help out with arthritis research. The sorority also host Strike Out with the Royals, where a portion of the profits from a specific Royals game goes toward the Arthritis Foundation.
“I am just so thankful for all of the support we have had from different organizations for our event this year,” Kinnison said. “It’s been so amazing to see all the donations for arthritis research coming in.”