Mules football notches six on all-region team

By JACKSON NEWMAN
For the Muleskinner

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — In the 2015 edition of the Don Hansen All- Region Team, the Mules football team had three players on the second team and three players on the third team. Those garnering second team honors were Ian Toalson, Billy Greco Redshirt and Jason Venckus, while Garrett Fugate, Jaylen Zachery and Brian Berzanski held down the fort on the third team.

“They were competitors,” said Offensive Coordinator John McMenemin. “You knew as a coach, with the mentality they brought to each and every snap, you had an excellent chance for success on game day.”

Toalson’s punishing style of play abetted countless yards after catch in addition to clearing running lanes for the Mules’ stable of running backs.

Greco stayed on the straight and narrow, coming up clutch for the Mules when called upon during wins over Missouri Western and Central Oklahoma, as he went 17 of 22 on field goal attempts for the season.

Rounding out the second team selections, Venckus closed out his career for the Mules on a high note, registering 46 tackles, 12 and a half tackles for loss and five and a half sacks on the year.

“Jason Venckus is a true warrior, a throwback type football player who brought his hard hat to practice, meetings and games every day,” said Defensive Coordinator Matt Jeter. “A torch bearer leader that the guys would follow anywhere.”

Zachery, a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses was “honored to be selected,” after a season in which he performed several duties, racking up 933 receiving yards while returning punts and kicks for the Mules.

Fugate provided the Mules with another dimension to their offense with his composure, athleticism and arm strength in his first year as starting quarterback. Ending the year with 2,613 passing yards and earning more than 500 yards with his legs.

“(Fugate) will do whatever it takes to get the job done,” McMenemin said. “I look forward to working with him next year.”

Brian Berzanski, whose heralded career drew to a close this season, anchored the offensive line unit of the Mules and kept the pocket clear of any defenders in pursuit of Fugate from his tackle position.

McMenemin said seniors Toalson and Berzanski led by example and showed underclassmen how an All-American type player performs on and off the field.

The return of Fugate, Greco, and Zachary promises an upward rise for the Mules who bring back 14 of 22 starters on offense and defense from a team that won eight of 11 contests in the 2015 season.

Jackson Newman is a defensive back on the Mules football team.