Mules wrestling opens MIAA dual season

Photo by UCM Photo Services
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT Mules 174-pound wrestler No. 4 Archie Williams looks for bak points during his 16-5 major decision over Heath Gray of Newman on Thursday, Jan. 14. The Mules won the dual 22-16.

By JASON KETZ
Sports Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Mules wrestling team opened their conference dual meet season Thursday, Jan. 14 with a 22-16 win over the Newman Jets. The Mules came into the match with a dual record of 1-3 with their lone win coming against Wentworth Military Academy 46-6 at home on Nov. 12.

PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
Mules 174-pound wrestler No. 4 Archie Williams looks for bak points during his 16-5 major decision over Heath Gray of Newman on Thursday, Jan. 14. The Mules won the dual 22-16.

The dual meet started at heavyweight where the Jets forfeited, then the Mules returned the favor at 125 pounds. This made the score even at six points at the end of the first two matches. The Mules were then able to rattle off four straight wins from Daide Agnew, Caleb Crabtree, Steffon Fassett and Tyler Horton. The final win for the Mules was No. 4 Archie Williams at 174 pounds.

Agnew got things going at 133 pounds with a win over Jake Gentzler by a 6-5 decision, followed by a 10-4 decision from Crabtree at 141 pounds, which extended the Mules lead out to 12-6.

Things got interesting at 149 pounds when Steffon Fassett found himself down 6-0 after the first period. But with four takedowns in the second period, Fassett was able to cut the lead to 9-8. Fassett was able to finish the match in the third period with two more takedowns and picking up a 12-10 win. Head coach Justin Ensign was impressed with his comeback performance, which gave Central Missouri a nine-point advantage.

“I thought that Steffon was going to pack it in after the first period,” Ensign said. “He didn’t listen to the coaches by choosing neutral to start the second period, which ended up working out for him in the end. But he was able to get his offense going and he stepped up in a big way for us.”

After a 5-2 decision in favor of Noel Torres of Newman over the Mules’ Allan Person, it was time for No. 4 ranked Archie Williams to solidify his ranking against Heath Gray. Williams was able to dictate the pace of the match ending with a win by major decision 16-5. This was a good step in the right direction, as Williams looks to repeat his All-American title.

“He’s had a rough stretch that has been a setback for him,” Ensign said. “He’s doing a better job of controlling his weight, and it was good to see him put together a full seven minutes since (UNK Invitational Tournament) against (Gray), who has won some tournaments this season.”

Williams’ win sealed the dual meet for the Mules as the next two weight classes went to the Jets. With the win the Mules improved to 2-3 in the young dual meet season. Ensign said he was very pleased with the way the team was able to battle throughout the night.

“I was really surprised with the way we were able to handle adversity tonight,” Ensign said. “We hadn’t been performing well the last few times out and I challenged them that it’s time to get it done.”

Ensign said he was happy the way the team fought for each other. Their next dual meet was Wednesday night against Lindenwood. The match wasn’t finished before press time of this issue.