Mules basketball looking for consistency

Photo by Andrew Mather
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM PHOTO SERVICES Senior guard D’Marnier Cunningham attempts a layup in a 98-95 overtime loss at home to Nebraska-Kearney on Dec. 19.

By JASON KETZ
Sports Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — While most students returned home over the winter break, the Mules basketball team was hard at work in the grinds of their regular season. Over the break, the Mules played seven key conference games. The Mules went 2-5, facing multiple second-half double-digit deficits to Northwest, Fort Hays State and Missouri Southern.

Mules second half struggles vs. Northwest

First up for the Mules was a home game against rival Northwest on Saturday, Dec. 5. This was the first time both schools had met since the final regular season game of last season, which ended with the Bearcats winning the MIAA regular season crown outright at the expense of the Mules. Through the first half of the game, it was high paced with both teams trading basket-for-basket with the Mules trailing by just one at the break. The second half had the Bearcats taking over the game, scoring eight of the first 10 points. The final score was 72-58. Senior D’Marnier Cunningham led the way with 18 points while Marquiez Lawrence added a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds.

Mules hold off Emporia on the road

Next up for the Mules was on the road against Emporia State on Dec. 12. The Mules were able to take the lead at the 17:57 mark of the first half, thanks to two of Cunningham’s 23 points, they kept the lead the rest of the way, winning 73-72. Junior forward Kyle Wolf led the team with 24 points and five rebounds.

Mules lose on last second shot

The Mules had a chance to redeem themselves on their home court on Dec. 17 against Fort Hays State. UCM trailed by as much as 14 with just under eight minutes left in the second half. Down by one with seven seconds left, the Mules fouled Kyler Kinnamon, who missed both free-throw attempts. Then Cunningham got the rebound and was able to put up a last second shot that went off the mark. Central Missouri lost a close one 69-68. Sophomore guard Spencer Reeves had 20 points.

Mules lose in OT at UNK

PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM PHOTO SERVICES Senior guard D'Marnier Cunningham attempts a layup in a 98-95 overtime loss at home to Nebraska-Kearney on Dec. 19.
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY UCM PHOTO SERVICES
Senior guard D’Marnier Cunningham attempts a layup in a 98-95 overtime loss at home to Nebraska-Kearney on Dec. 19.

Just two days later, UCM was back on the Multi court against Nebraska-Kearney. The Mules trailed by eight points with less than two minutes to go in the second half when Cunningham scored 10 straight points, including the game-tying shot as time expired in regulation. The Lopers won the game 98- 95 in overtime. Cunningham led the Mules with a season-high 38 points, while Lawrence chipped in with 19 points and was a rebound shy of a double-double.

Mules ring in New Year with home win

After ringing in the New Year, the Mules were back on their home court trying to snap a three-game losing streak at home against Southwest Baptist. Thanks to an 18-5 run, Central Missouri took an eight-point lead to halftime. The Mules held a double-digit lead most of the second half until the final two minutes, where the Bearcats got within four. Cunningham sank two free-throw shots with 13 seconds left to ice the game with a 70- 64 win. Cunningham and freshman center Jakob Lowrance had 12 points each, while Lawrence had 10 rebounds.

Pitt State able to hold off the Mules

Three days later, the Mules were on the road against Pittsburgh State. Even with a 9-0 run to end the first half, the Mules trailed at the break by 12. The second half was more of the same as the Gorillas were able to maintain a double-digit lead the entire second half as the Mules lost 80-69. Cunningham led with 19 points and seven rebounds.

Mules late comeback falls short

On Jan. 9, the Mules traveled to Joplin to take on Missouri Southern. This game was back and forth as the Mules trailed at half by two. But the second half saw the Lions go on a 13-1 run, that would put them in full control. The Mules fought back but were only able to cut the deficit to six. Missouri Southern won the game 100-89, with Cunningham at 28 points.

Over the time off, the Mules faced double-digit deficits that really defined their winter break stretch. Head coach Doug Karleskint was still optimistic that this break was one where he learned a lot about his team.

“We don’t have any give-up,” Karleskint said. “There were several points where over this stretch we could have given up, but we’ve refused to give in. And we’ve shown some good fight, especially being down at Fort Hays with a shot to win at the buzzer, and forcing overtime against Nebraska-Kearney.”

Even with the team’s recent stretch, the Mules have been able to find success from Cunningham, a transfer guard who was able to average just over 21 points per game during the break. Karleskint was quick to point out that he has been a great addition to the team.

“His speed is something that stands out, especially him getting a rebound and being able to outrun everyone else to the other end of the floor,” Karleskint said. “One thing that his coaches at Memphis told us is that there won’t be a faster player in Division II, and at times he has really shown that.”

But at the end of the day for the Mules, it’s all about getting better each and every day. There are still 13 regular season games left, so there is still plenty of time for the Mules to position themselves nicely before the MIAA tournament.