Four terms remain expired at UCM, 46 statewide in higher ed

By LEAH WANKUM
Managing Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Gov. Jay Nixon announced the reappointment of Mary Long of Kansas City to the board of governors at the University of Central Missouri. Long will serve on the board through Jan. 1, 2017. If the Missouri Senate confirms her reappointment when the Missouri General Assembly is in session, it brings the number of board members with expired terms down to four.

Other members with expired terms include Marvin Wright of Columbia, Missouri, and Mary Dandurand of Warrensburg, whose terms expired Dec. 31, 2015; Walt Hicklin of Gravois Mills, Missouri, whose term expired Jan. 1, 2013; and Weldon Brady of Warrensburg, whose term expired Jan. 1, 2012. Long’s term ended Jan. 1, 2011, and she continued to serve on the board until Nixon reappointed her last week.

Jeff Murphy, assistant director of media relations at UCM, said all board members, regardless of the status of their terms, continue to serve on the board and participate in all decisions made by the board.

“These individuals can continue serving on the board until the governor appoints a replacement to fill their posts,” Murphy said. “All of these board members have been instrumental in decisions that have led to the growth and success of UCM, and their past and continued service is very much appreciated.”

The Missouri Boards and Commissions website indicates that there are 46 vacancies and expired terms on boards and commissions in higher education. Scott Holste, spokesman for the governor, said filling vacancies and expired terms on all the boards and commissions across Missouri is a multi-step process.

“There are hundreds of boards and commissions within the state of Missouri that require a gubernatorial appointment, and also boards and commissions that require appointments from the General Assembly as well too,” Holste said. “Each of these boards have different requirements… and then the appointments do have to be confirmed by the Senate as well too.

“And then there are certainly instances where the Senate has not taken up confirmation with the time that’s allotted. So there are a number of different factors as to why there may be vacancies on a particular board.”

In the interim of vacancies, Holste said the governor’s office continues to seek out qualified candidates to ensure that the boards are operating in an efficient and effective manner.

“Certainly, we’re going to continue to look at ensuring that we have a fully operating board that’s able to serve the UCM community as well as the State of Missouri,” said Scott Holste, spokesman for the governor. “Certainly, as the opportunity arises then the governor would make new appointments to the boards.”

Holste said there’s no specific timeline to appointing board members, but the general process starts with accepting applications from people who meet political and geographical requirements and are interested in serving on the board. For example, applicants to serve on the board of governors at UCM must be from one of the 21 Missouri counties in the university’s historic area, from Jackson County on the west side of the state to Pulaski County in the eastern central part of Missouri. Additionally, the board must have only four of eight voting members of the same political party.

Once applications are received, they are reviewed by the governor’s office.

“As the vacancies would occur… applicants are reviewed, and if the governor makes appointments of those boards, then they serve pending approval by the Senate,” Holste said.

Appointments for UCM’s board of governors are six years in length, and two years for student representatives. Elizabeth Wood was the last student representative to serve on the board. Wood was appointed in July 2014. The student representative appointment is vacant, according to the Missouri Boards & Commissions website.