Jennies soccer wins MIAA Tournament

By ALEX AGUEROS
Sports Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Central Missouri and Northeastern State played 98 minutes of scoreless soccer in the MIAA Tournament Championship. The Jennies won the match and their second straight tournament title with 42 seconds remaining in the first overtime.

PHOTO BY TRISTAN MCCLELLAND / PHOTOGRAPHER The Central Missouri soccer team dog piles after winning their second straight MIAA Tournament over Northeastern State 1-0 Sunday.
PHOTOS BY TRISTAN MCCLELLAND / PHOTOGRAPHER
The Central Missouri soccer team dog piles after winning their second straight MIAA Tournament over Northeastern State 1-0 Sunday.

Sophomore midfielder Megan Woolley provided the winner off a cross from senior forward Hannah Pyle.
“I knew she would be there,” Pyle said. “She’s always there.”
Four weeks earlier, the Jennies lost their first home game in almost two years to the RiverHawks. Central Missouri (19-2, 11-1 MIAA) followed Sunday’s victory by earning the top seed in the NCAA Regional Tournament, announced Monday evening.
Both teams failed to convert on few scoring chances in the first half. Northeastern State’s top scorer, junior Anastasia Robinson, nearly scored in the sixth minute, but her shot hit off the top crossbar.
The RiverHawks’ midfield and back line frustrated the UCM attack for the first 60 minutes of the match. Clean dives from junior RiverHawk Jennifer Cudjoe often single-handedly stunted a Jennies attack throughout the match.
Head coach Lewis Theobald said the NSU defense played well, but the Jennies offense, at times, lacked urgency and simply wore down the RiverHawks back line.
“I just think the way they play, they had a lot of numbers behind the ball, they clogged the space, it made it very hard for us,” Theobald said. “The other thing is (that) we were wasteful. We would get in good positions and not give quality services. When we get in those positions we have to do a better job.
“At the end, our goal came from a good pass and Megan (Woolley) taking her time to finish.”
As the second half continued, the NSU defense was a step slower, the tackles were less effective and the Jennies offense managed 10 shots in the final 30 minutes. Theobald said wearing Northeastern State down in the second half enabled the game-winner in overtime.
Senior forward Hannah Pyle, No. 16, douses her teammates with drinking water to celebrate the team's MIAA Tournament title.
Senior forward Hannah Pyle, No. 16, douses her teammates with drinking water to celebrate the team’s MIAA Tournament title.

“You can only defend for so long before you start getting tired,” Theobald said. “I think they started breaking down and I think we had a little more time and space and that makes all the difference.
“Sometimes, this time of year, it’s not always pretty.”
The winning goal was prompted by redshirt freshman Jada Scott, who passed to Pyle near the sideline.
Pyle said defenders gave her space, but left Woolley wide open.
“I knew I had a girl to the right of me, and I knew I had open space all in front of me,” Pyle said. “But I saw Megan ahead of me, and I knew she had a better chance, and there was no one on her. So I just crossed it into Megan, and she finished it.”
Woolley said the team was missing a quality cross throughout the match, and was in the right spot when the team produced one.
“We definitely could have got more quality crosses in,” Woolley said. “I think that was a really good cross, and I happened to be at the top of the box to finish it.”
With the victory, the Jennies earned the No. 1 seed in the regional tournament and host the winner of Minot State and Winona State at the South Recreation Complex Sunday at noon.