Homecoming inspires school spirit

Story by Sean McCarrell, for The Muleskinner
    Homecoming is here, and school spirit is the centerpiece of conversation leading up to the weekend festivities.
    One question students have is: How does your spirit here compare to your spirit for your high school?
    Many students from small towns and schools have a specific view of school spirit, although each school is certainly different.
    Chris Herring, a senior physical education major from Hardin, Mo., had 14 students in his graduating class,  yet, he described his high school as a very prideful place.
    “[Hardin-Central] is traditionally known as a football school, and it’s always cool when you see the [Bulldog] paw prints on the street,” he said.
    As far as Homecoming, Herring said he credits a feeling of responsibility and community expectation to his experience in Hardin compared to that at UCM.
    “There’s more of a feeling of ownership and belonging,” he said.  “I think there’s more spirit here if you’re involved in Greek life, because more activities revolve around that.”
    Herring said Homecoming week isn’t any different than any other week on campus, “except for people trying to get you to vote.”
    Still, he said he is excited to be here, and acknowledged the positives of his experience at the institution.
    “I’m proud to be a part of the P.E. department, because it’s nationally known,” he said.  “We have a teacher who goes to Washington, D.C., to speak.”
    Zach Gebhardt, a junior kicker on the Mules football team, said he has immense pride in UCM.
    The finance major, who is a native of Archie, Mo., spoke fondly of the university.
    “I definitely have more spirit at UCM,” he said. “It’s a different environment; we have a lot of good sports, and I really like the Harmon College of Business. I feel like it’s a really good program.”
    Gebhardt graduated with a class of 39 students, and said, “A lot of people think it’s a really tight-knit small town, but it’s not really like that.”
    He described his hometown as quaint, but said there is not a great amount of pride or jubilance.
    Gebhardt also spoke about Homecoming at each school, and how it is perceived and executed.
    “Homecoming really isn’t a big event there,” he said.  “The king and queen coronation is the only real event.”
    UCM’s Homecoming experience is one of pride, and the feeling of returning to one’s roots.
    As a school that attracts a lot of small-town students, it certainly has a small-town feel.
    While each town may not view itself in the same way, one thing is for sure, each student has something to be proud of, as well as a place to call home.