Mule Nation shows its pride: Red is the new black

By ANDREA LOPEZ
Features Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The color red could be seen in every direction Sept. 3 as students and community members gathered to support UCM athletics.
In its 11th year, Get the Red Out has become a popular UCM tradition that takes over Holden Street. The street fair featured an appearance of Mancow the Mule and sounds of the UCM Marching Band – all in anticipation for the Mules football game opener against Missouri Western at Audrey J. Walton Stadium. Reporter Andrea Lopez and Videographer Kaitlin Brothers met with a variety of vendors and participants to highlight the diversity and pride of Mule Nation.
“It’s a great night to be in Warrensburg – a great night to support UCM,” said UCM President Chuck Ambrose. “The thing that makes the University of Central Missouri special is you can’t tell where the community starts, or the university stops. And tonight’s taking it to that next level.”
From watching people survive the dunk tank to taking pictures with Clifford the Big Red Dog, people seemed to be entertained by the variety of vendors.
After hearing about the event, Kayla McGee said she decided to get a breather from her homework in exchange for some school spirit.
“I enjoyed being able to go to the different booths and see what’s going on in the community, not only at the school, but in Warrensburg as a whole,” she said.
Dancing to the “Cupid Shuffle,” a crowd of nearly 20 people, led by the Strive, Women’s Fitness Center, made a scene as they moved their hips through Holden Street.
“We support a lot of things around Warrensburg,” said Leslie Walling, owner of Strive Women’s Fitness. “We really enjoy all the charities, help out the animal shelter, food drives, school supply drives for the school, and then we love getting out here and helping the students and the UCM community and all the endeavors that they have.”
Beyond the community atmosphere, Mule Nation seems to be all about that UCM pride.
“People should be pumped up for UCM football because this is the first game, and we’re getting the red out and we should be really good this year,” said UCM cheerleader Megan Myers.
For UCM basketball player D’Marnier Cunningham, it’s no different.
“Our coach just wanted us to give back and show support to the football team because they show support to us during our season,” Cunningham said. “Even though this is my first year here, I met a lot of the guys and the camaraderie of this town is all well put together.”
Mules scored their first home game victory, winning 18-17 against Missouri Western.