Faces of UCM: Ryan Chase

By BETHANY SHERROW
Assistant News Editor
(Warrensburg, Mo., digitalBURG) – Ryan  Chase experienced his first day as a UCM Mule on Monday, but not as he expected. While it had been an exciting day for most new students, Chase said he battled a horrible past three days leading up to move-in day.

PHOTO BY BETHANY SHERROW / ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR Ryan Chase relaxes in the Elliott Student Union before the first day of classes.
PHOTO BY BETHANY SHERROW / ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR
Ryan Chase relaxes in the Elliott Student Union before the first day of classes.

“I arrived up here on Friday and I lost my keys,” Chase said.
When Chase checked his car Saturday morning to retrieve his backpack to obtain his meningitis record inside, his bag was gone.
Since the meningitis vaccine is now required by the state of Missouri for all residents living on campus, Chase said he became stressed knowing that the clinic, where he was given the vaccine, was closed on Sunday and would not fax his records to the health center. But that wasn’t the only missing item.
“The bag had all my books in it,” he said. “I looked in my car and found out that my TV, my monitor; my iHome and other small items were missing too.”
As he walked down the street, the mystery began to unfold.
“I found my books and my records just lying in a bush,” he said. “I’m pretty happy I found those, but my bag is still gone.”
Chase’s dad arrived to help him move in on Sunday, bringing him some relief.
“He brought me my spare key,” he said. “I put the spare key and my room key in my wallet and then I lost my wallet.”
Chase said he hopes things will improve during his freshman year.
“I don’t think things could get much worse so hopefully they get better.”
As a member of the Air Force ROTC on campus and being a mechanical engineering major, Chase said he will stay busy with his six classes and commuting to Columbia, Missouri, for Air Force ROTC training.
Chase said he has a few goals for the semester including joining a fraternity.
“As of today I just want to get to know all my teachers and professors,” he said.