Warner finishes 12th at USA Nationals

(EUGENE, Ore.) — Central Missouri track and field student-athlete Heavin Warner finished in 12th place this weekend in the hammer throw in her first USA National Championship meet. Warner’s best mark of 62.66m (205-7) came on her third and final throw of the afternoon.

Warner helped lead the Jennies to both indoor and outdoor NCAA Division II National Championships in 2014-2015, the first National Championships in program history. The five-time All-American from St. Joseph, Missouri, won her second consecutive individual national championship in the hammer throw this past May.

She also made history this year by setting a new NCAA Division II record in the hammer throw. At the UCM Mule Relays, Warner’s toss of 67.24m (220-7) propelled her to the top mark in Division II history and was the mark she used to qualify for this weekend’s national meet.
Warner wasn’t the only athlete at the National Championships with ties to Central Missouri. UCM assistant coach Kurtis Brondyke took seventh place in the decathlon. Two UCM alumni are also competing. Former two-time UCM National Champion Kristin Anderson (Swisher) finished 19th in the 10,000-meter run Thursday and former four-time UCM National Champion Lindsey Lettow will compete in the heptathlon over the final two days.