Wild game ends in extra inning loss for Mules

Box Score | Season Stats

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — A wild back and forth game that saw 21 total runs scored, 24 total hits and nine errors ended in an 11-10 loss in 12 innings for the Mules against Rockhurst on Tuesday night at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field.
The Mules (27-17) led 9-7 heading in to the bottom of the ninth, but a three-run home run by Seth Soto gave Rockhurst (19-23) a 10-9 lead. The Mules plated a single run in the bottom of the ninth on a wild pitch to tie the game and force extra innings. The Hawks scored the winning run on David Stober’s RBI double in the top of the 12th.
The Mules led 2-1 after the first inning on Derek Cornell’s two-run home run, but the Hawks plated four runs in the second to grab a 5-2 lead. The lead went to 6-2 on Calin McCourt’s RBI groundout in the fourth.
Cornell drove in two more runs in the fifth with a single to center to make it 6-4, but the Hawks got a run back in the sixth on Matt Stacks’ solo home run. UCM got to within 7-6 in the sixth when Jackson Schnurbusch scored on a wild pitch and Dusty Maas plated anothe run with a sac fly.
The Mules took a 9-7 lead with three runs in the seventh. Schnurbusch had a two-run single to give the Mules the lead and he scored later on a throwing error by Rockhurst.
UCM went to the ninth with the lead, but a pair of walks set the stage for Soto’s home run that gave RU the lead.
Austin Southmayd (1-1) suffered the loss for the Mules. He allowed one run on two hits in three innings of relief. Andrew Ellwanger (1-2) earned the win for the Hawks after giving up one run on one hit in four innings of work.
Cornell finished the day with four RBI to lead UCM and Schnurbusch drove in a pair. Trevor Jones went 2-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 21 games.
The Mules will close out the regular season this weekend with a four-game series at Lindenwood. The series gets underway with a single game on Friday night at 6 p.m.