Skyhaven hosts Sport Aviation Classic Oct. 4-7

(Photo courtesy of University Relations) Tony Monetti, assistant dean of aviation and executive director of the UCM airport, pilots one of the airplanes manufactured by Renegade, which is an example of the light sport aircraft that will be on display by aircraft owners this weekend.

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – There’s plenty of action happening at the UCM airport this weekend, from free airplane rides to a visit by the president of the Tuskegee Airmen association.
The University of Central Missouri Department of Aviation and Max B. Swisher Skyhaven Airport is partnering with Renegade Light Sport of Lee’s Summit to host the Heart of American Sport Aviation Classic Oct. 4-7 at the airport, located west of Warrensburg on U.S. 50.
The event will bring aviation enthusiasts together to offer information about the airport, UCM aviation programs, and light sport aviation, considered to be future of private aviation and aviation training, according to a news release.
The event is free and open to the public.
The event kicks off with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9 a.m. Thursday. UCM President Chuck Ambrose is scheduled to join other university officials and Warrensburg Mayor Don Butterfield in opening the event.
Breakfast will be served each day of the event from 9-11 a.m. Aviation re-enactors will make public presentations from 1-2 p.m. each day, and a pub crawl is planned for 7 p.m. Thursday, beginning at Fitter’s in downtown Warrensburg.
The event continues Friday, with classes offered in composite repair, tube and fabric repair and a 3-D CADD aviation program for light sport aviation enthusiasts. A live auction is planned for 8 p.m. Friday in Hangar 2 to raise funds for the UCM Alumni Aviation Scholarship Fund.
Saturday’s events include free airplane rides for children provided by the Young Eagles program of the Experimental Aircraft Association from 9-11 a.m. Ed King, president of the Heart of American chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen, is scheduled to be in Hangar 2 to sign autographs and provide information about the history of the Tuskegee Airmen.
The Memphis Belle 1940s dance, with music provided by a live jazz band, is planned for 8 p.m. Saturday in Hangar 2.
Throughout the event, a variety of vendors will provide information on available equipment and technology, including the Lycoming 233 LS single engine plane manufactured by Renegade. Light sport aircraft owners will display their aircraft and answer questions.
For more information, contact the UCM Department of Aviation at 660-543-4975.

[email_link]