22nd-ranked Mules hold off Lincoln

(MAGNOLIA, Ark.)The 22nd-ranked Mules got a strong pitching performance from Jake Heissler and held off Lincoln 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at Goodheart Field. The Mules improve to 4-3 overall with the win.
Lincoln (0-1) got on the board first with a pair of unearned runs in the second inning. Two UCM errors allowed the inning to continue and for the Blue Tigers to plate two runs.
The Mules got on the board in the third when they took the lead with three runs. Matt Milner had a sacrifice fly to score the first run and two runs scored on an error by the shortstop. UCM added to the lead with a singler un in the fifth on Dylan Hanson‘ RBI fielder’s choice.
The Blue Tigers scored one in the seventh on Dillon Walker’s RBI fielder’s choice, but they would get no more.
Heissler (1-0) allowed two unearned runs on two hits in six innings while striking out eight. Ricky Rivera allowed one run on one hit in an inning of relief and Trevor Ezell pitched the final two innings to earn his third save of the season.
Trevor Schnieders (0-1) took the loss for Lincoln after giving up three runs on three hits over four innings.
The Mules out-hit the Blue Tigers 4-3 in the game adn the teams combined for six errors.
The Mules return home next weekend to open MIAA play against Fort Hays State at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field. The series gets underway on Friday at 3 p.m. with a single nine-inning game. The teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday starting at 1 p.m. and the series wraps up on Sunday with another single nine-inning game at 1 p.m.