Kinsey, Phillips named MIAA Athletes of the Week

(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) – For the second straight week, Central Missouri’s track and field team had multiple MIAA Athletes of the Week. Mules sophomore Cole Phillips earned the field Athlete of the Week for the second time this season and Jennies freshman Erika Kinsey was also named MIAA field Athlete of the Week for the second time in 2015.
Kinsey recorded the best mark in the high jump in the NCAA across all three divisions this weekend at the Mule Relays. She jumped a school and building record 1.90m (6′ 2.75″). The mark is an NCAA automatic qualifer. In her first year with the Jennies, she has qualified for the national meet in four events (high jump, long jump, triple jump, pentathlon) and leads Division II in the high jump. The Swedish native also came in fifth place in the hurdles with a personal-best 9.00 seconds. Kinsey was also award the MIAA Athlete of the Week on December 16.
Phillips, a sophomore from Nixa, Mo. already had the top mark in Division II in the pole vault and bettered it at the Mule Relays. Phillips jumped 5.22m (17′ 1.5″) to win the event. The mark is an automatic qualifer for the national meet. Phillips was also named MIAA Athlete of the Week on December 9.
The Mules and Jennies are back on the track this weekend, Feb. 6-7 in Joplin, Mo. at the Missouri Southern Open.