Jennies fall, 77-69 against Missouri Western on the road

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) –The Jennies fell to the Missouri Western Griffons, 77-69 at MWSU Fieldhouse on Wednesday night.
The Jennies (11-5, 5-3 MIAA) opened a 7-3 lead in the opening 2:13 of the game, and stretched it to a seven-point edge in the next two-plus minutes. All five Jennies starters scored within the first 5:04, led by senior Jasmine Thompson with three points.
UCM went on an 18-7 run over the next 6:36, to take a commanding 25-10 lead. Junior Tayler Weiks scored six of those 18 points, three via free throws and the other three via three-pointer.
Missouri Western closed the gap to six over the next 2:09, ignited by a pair of treys by Sarafina Handy.
A layup by senior Revonnia Howard and a three-pointer from senior Breonna Embray on the Jennies’ next two possessions made it an eight-point game at 31-23 with just over eight minutes remaining in the first half.
Missouri Western scored the game’s next nine points, grabbing its first lead since the 19:30 mark of the half.
Thompson and junior Danielle Barry combined for six points on the next three possessions, putting UCM back in front, 37-32.
An eventual six-point lead for the Jennies was erased in less than two minutes by the Griffons, capped off by a pair of layups from Chuol Friday, knotting the game at 42-42 with 36 seconds left in the opening half.
Junior Shelby Winkelmann closed the half out with a layup just before time expired, giving UCM a 44-42 lead at the intermission.
The first 4:28 of the game’s second half involved three ties before the Griffons claimed a 56-49 lead with just under 12 minutes left.
The Jennies shaved three points off the deficit following Justina Prairie Chief’s layup and a free throw from Barry. However, back-to-back three-pointers by Missouri Western put the Jennies in a 62-52 hole with 9:43 remaining.
UCM closed the gap to 66-59 after Winkelmann converted on a layup, but the Griffons built and sustained a double-digit lead until 2:20 left in the game. UCM closed to within six with 1:13 to play after Winkelmann’s layup, but a pair of free throws by Missouri Western’s Miliakere Koyamainavure iced the game.
Four Jennies, led by Winkelmann’s 16 points, scored in double-figures. Barry and Weiks combined for 16 points off the bench for UCM.
The loss snapped a 13-game win streak for the Jens against Missouri Western, five of those wins coming in St. Joseph.
The Jennies look to bounce back against Northwest Missouri at home on Saturday, January 17 for a 1:30 p.m. tip-off.