Jennies win late thriller on road, knocking off No. 8 Washburn 64-61

(TOPEKA, Kan.) — The Jennies extended their win streak to four games, upsetting No. 8 Washburn 64-61 in the final minute at Lee Arena on Monday night.
The Jennies (10-3, 4-1 MIAA) began the game with a 6-3 lead, but the Ichabods took the lead with back-to-back buckets from Honor Duvall and Jayna Smith.
After trading baskets over the next two possessions, UCM gained separation on a 16-5 run over the next four minutes. Junior guard Tayler Weiks gave the offense a boost off the bench for the third straight game, hitting a pair of three-pointers during that span.
Washburn closed to within seven points with 7:41 left in the first half, but the Jennies went on a 13-9 run over the next 6:24, opening a 37-26 lead.
Following a pair of free-throw makes by Washburn, senior Brielle Wattley found junior Danielle Barry underneath the basket, who dropped in a layup to beat the halftime buzzer.
The Jennies shot 57 percent (16-of-28) from the floor in the first half and had three players score eight points each, all second to Weiks’ 11.
Following the intermission, the Jennies saw their lead deteriorate from 11 points to four in the first 7:12 of second half.
UCM saw its lead sliced to a point at 43-42 with 11:45, but Prairie Chief made a three-pointer and Howard scored on a layup to bump their lead back to six.
After trading buckets for the next five possessions, Washburn’s Taylor Ignoto and Casyn Buchman deposited four free throws to close to within 58-56 with 4:16 left.
Washburn’s Honor Duvall tied the game for the first time with a layup with 3:42 left. They took their first lead when Jayna Smith split a pair of free throws two possessions later at 59-58.
Senior guard Jasmine Thompson scored on a breakaway layup and drew a foul with 1:23 left, but missed the free throw as the Jennies remained in a one-point hole at 61-60.
The Jennies got a defensive stop on Washburn’s next possession, and regained a 62-61 lead with a layup by senior forward Revonnia Howard with 53 seconds remaining.
Thompson forced a steal on the Ichabod’s next possession, forcing Washburn to foul with 17 seconds left, sending Prairie Chief to the free-throw stripe. Prairie Chief deposited both free throw tosses, giving UCM a 64-61 lead.
The Jennies’ defense contested a last-second three-pointer by Ignoto, giving the Jennies their second win in their last three tries against Washburn in Topeka.
The victory was the Jennies’ first win against a ranked team this season and the first since defeating No. 25 Rollins College on Nov. 16, 2013. It was also the first win against a top-10 team since Feb. 3, 2010 (64-60 win over No. 5 Emporia State).
The Jennies will go for their fifth straight win against No. 5 Pittsburg State on Thursday for a 5:30 p.m. tip-off in Warrensburg.