No. 8 Mules escape with 63-60 win at Washburn

(TOPEKA, Kan.) — The Mules held Washburn to 39 percent shooting and escaped with a 63-60 win on Monday night at Lee Arena.
The Mules used a late 5-0 run to break a 48-all tie and they were able to ice the game away at the free-throw line.
Both teams struggled offensively in the first half with UCM (12-2, 3-2 MIAA) shooting 39 percent and Washburn (8-9, 3-3 MIAA) shooting 40 percent with eight made field goals. Brennen Hughes scored the first four points of the game to give the Mules a 4-0 lead.
UCM extended its lead to eight at 12-4 with 12:26 to play in the first half, but the Ichabods battled back to within three at 15-12 with 5:09 remaining. A TJ White layup gave the Mules a five point lead, but UCM would go into halftime leading 19-16.
The Mules pushed their lead to seven at the 16:29 mark at 28-21, but a 5-0 run pulled Washburn with two. The Bods got to within a point at 33-32 with 11:50 to play in the game, but a 4-0 spurt pushed the Mules to a five point lead.
UCM led by six at 44-38 with 7:20 left in regulation, but back-to-back threes from Kevin House tied the game at the 5:41 mark and his two free throws at the 4:19 mark gave the Ichabods their first lead of the game.
Hughes’ tip-in with 4:10 remaining tied the game and Preston Brunz‘s two foul shots gave UCM a two-point lead. Washburn tied the game with 2:46 to play on a pair of Alex North free throws, but Kyle Wolf‘s three pointer and Dillon Deck‘s layup gave the Mules a 53-48 lead with 1:46 to play.
Brunz made two free throws with 57 seconds left to give the Mules a seven point advantage, but Kyle Wiggins’ three-point play made it a four point game. Rakeem Dickerson made two shots to push the lead back to six and Wolf made one of two to push the lead back to seven.
Wiggins scored another layup to pull WU within five and after a UCM turnover House hit two free throws to make it a three-point game with 29 seconds to play. Tony Cochran then made one of two for UCM to push the lead back to a two score game.
Washburn got to within three when Wiggins was fouled on a three-point attempt with 0.8 seconds to play. He intentionally missed the third free throw, but the rebound was tipped away and the clock expired.
Hughes and Wolf led the Mules with 12 points apiece, while Deck finished with 11. Hughes added eight rebounds as well. The Mules shot 43 percent from the floor, going 18-of-42, including 4-of-14 from three-point range for just 29 percent. The Mules were 23-of-32 at the foul line for 72 percent.
Washburn was 20-of-51 from the field for 39 percent and 6-of-14 from beyond the arc for 43 percent. The Ichabods were 14-of-20 for 70 percent at the charity stripe. Wiggins led WU with a game-high 22 points, while House added 13.
The Mules return to action on Thursday night when they host Pittsburg State in the first home game of 2015. Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Multipurpose Building.