Mules Wrestling finishes 21st at Midwest Classic

(INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.) — The Mules wrestling team had a rough weekend at the 36th Annual Midwest Classic hosted by the University of Indianapolis, coming in 21st place out of 26 teams at the two-day tournament. The Mules scored 17 team points and failed to place any wrestlers in the tournament that featured nine ranked teams.
Logan Cairer at 157 pounds, Evan Young at 165 and Archie Williams at 174 all went 2-2 for UCM. Zadac Lankford went 1-2 at 141 pounds and Chris Harris was 1-2 at heavyweight.
After dropping his first match of the tournament to Dennis Flores of Newberry, 3-0, Cairer received a bye then beat Justin Brown of Campbellsville 7-2 and scored a 10-2 major decision over Kannon Madden of Shorter. He fell 13-8 to Sam Viengmany of Tiffin in the consolation fourth round.
Young won by fall over Wally Figaro of Shorter in his first match and then beat Joey Fogle of East Stroudsburg 5-2. He lost to Austin Harris of Western State 5-2 in the quarterfinals and was bounced from the tournament with a 9-3 loss to Jimmy Sandlin of Limestone.
Williams dropped a 10-6 decision to Jared Chambers of Tiffin to open the tournament. After a bye, he picked up a pair of falls before losing 9-6 to Travis Lang of Maryville in the fourth round of consolations. He pinned JayCee Jensen of Trine in 1:13 and then pinned Laurel Landals of Lindenwood in :58.
Harris picked up a fall in 2:34 over Tyler Shank of Ashland to start the tournament, but was pinned in 4:26 by Donnell Walker of Maryville and in 3:51 by Corey Siegfried of Wheeling Jesuit to end his tournament.
The Mules are off until after the beginning of the new year. They will host the UCM Duals on Sunday, Jan. 4 at the UCM Multipurpose Building.