Jennies basketball falls 76-75 in overtime at Fort Hays State

(HAYS, Kan.) – The 21st-ranked Jennies dropped a 76-75 decision in overtime at host Fort Hays State at Gross Memorial Coliseum on Thursday night.
The loss snaps the Jennies (5-2, 0-1 MIAA) five-game win streak and extends their losing streak in Hays to four games.
The first half was highlighted by seven lead changes with the largest margin between the two conference foes at five points.
The Jennies opened the game building a 6-5 lead after baskets from Revonnia HowardShelby Winkelmann and Danielle Barry.
The Tigers went on a 7-2 run over the next 2:46, but the Jennies responded with an 8-3 spurt to take a 20-15 lead with 9:42 left in the first half. The Jennies’ scoring run was capped off by back-to-back layups by Winkelmann, who finished with six points in the first half.
UCM maintained its lead until the 3:50 mark of the opening half following back to back treys by Nikola Kacperska and Chelsea Mason, putting the Tigers ahead, 26-25.
The two teams went into the locker room tied at 30-30, following three more lead changes to end the first 20 minutes of play.
In the game’s second half, the Jennies received two quick layups from Winklemann, providing a four-point lead.
The Jennies maintained that lead for the next 5½ minutes before Mason splashed a three-pointer with 12:10 remaining in regulation, putting Fort Hays State on top, 46-45.
Five lead changes ensued over the next 2:13 and the Jennies were able to open a four-point lead with nine minutes left with a three-pointer from Tayler Weiks.
With 5:45 remaining in regulation, Mason converted on a layup to give the Tigers the lead again at 61-60. Prairie Chief responded with a layup to put the Jennies ahead, 62-61.
After Howard added a free throw with 2:50 left to put the Jennies ahead by three points, Kate Lehman came back with two free throws with nine seconds on the clock to send the game to overtime.
Fort Hays State opened overtime scoring five of the first seven points, but back-to-back layups by Howard and Prairie Chief cut the deficit to 72-71 with 22 seconds left.
The two teams exchanged a pair of free throws over the next two possessions to keep it at a one-point game with 15 seconds left in the overtime period.
The Jennies would then foul Nikola Kacperska, who made the two free throws to put the Tigers up, 76-73 with eight seconds left.
Prairie Chief’s layup to close the gap to a point was not enough as the clock expired on the next inbound. Prairie Chief scored a career-high 21 points to lead the Jennies in scoring for the fourth time this season. Winkelmann turned in a season-best 20 points, logging a team-high 42 minutes, while Howard pulled in 15 rebounds, seven on the offensive end.
The Jennies will return home to face William Jewell College on Sunday, December 7 for a 1 p.m. tip-off.