Jeb Bush appears for Sen. Roberts in Kansas

By ROXANA HEGEMAN

(WICHITA, Kan., AP) — Potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush weighed in to a key midterm election race on Monday, telling a Kansas fundraiser for struggling Sen. Pat Roberts that the incumbent must be re-elected so the GOP can take control of the Senate and “fix a few things” in Washington.
The former Florida governor told about 180 supporters that Roberts, who is facing an unexpectedly strong challenge from an independent candidate, would not let them down if re-elected.
“In my time in politics there has never been a time more important to regain our footing,” Bush said of the stakes in the Nov. 4 election.
Bush said the future was bright, but that the country needed to “fix a few things” and that would not happen without Republicans gaining control of the Senate this election.
Republicans need a net gain of six seats to take a majority in the Senate for the last two years of President Barack Obama’s term.
Unlike other potential 2016 presidential contenders, Bush kept a relatively low public profile for much of the year. But he has stepped up his fundraising and campaigning for GOP candidates as the election approaches. He is appearing Tuesday in Arkansas with the GOP candidate for governor there, Asa Hutchinson.
His visit to Kansas comes just days after former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin campaigned with Roberts. Two former presidential nominees, U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole of Kansas, joined Roberts on the campaign trail last week. Another potential 2016 White House candidate, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, is also expected to help Roberts’ campaign.
The 78-year-old Roberts once was considered a near lock for re-election but now faces a tough battle from independent businessman Greg Orman after the Democratic candidate withdrew. Roberts narrowly survived a bruising primary against a tea party-backed candidate, and after 30 years representing the state in Washington there have been questions whether he has a Kansas residence.
“We are in a tough fight everybody knows that, but we are going to win this race,” Roberts told supporters.