Burg Fest set for this weekend

By ROB CURRY
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – The second annual Burg Fest will take over the streets of downtown Warrensburg this weekend.
The three-day festival opens at 5 p.m. Friday. Event coordinator Jill Purvis said she hopes fair weather and an expanded festival will draw a larger crowd than last year. Some 3,000 people attended last year.
The fair ends Sunday after rock band Don’t Know Dorothy’s performance at 3:30 p.m.
The event is co-organized by Warrensburg Main Street Inc. and the local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. “We have a good partner in Big Brothers Big Sisters looking for family friendly activities for kids,” said Main Street Executive Director Julie Turnipseed.
A children’s area will feature inflatables, face painting, pony rides and a caricature artist. Children’s area passes will be $15 per day, $30 for the weekend and $25 if purchasing three or more passes.
Mainstage, located behind the Johnson County Courthouse at 101 W. Market St., will feature concerts. A variety stage, located in front of the downtown courthouse, will have gymnastics, sports, theater, dance and choirs among other performances.
While last year featured a local barbecue contest, this year’s contest is sanctioned by The American Royal Association, and the winner will go on to compete at the KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest at the American Royal in Kansas City, Missouri. There will be not be a public tasting.
Other events include a brewing contest judged in Hero’s Restaurant and Pub, a beer garden Friday and Saturday, and the Warrensburg Wheels Cruise-In Car Show on Saturday.
“One of the purposes of the festival is to create a sense of community, bring different parts of the city together, like (UCM), Whiteman Air Force Base, and get them to learn more about downtown, and possibly want to do more business downtown,” Turnipseed stated.
Purvis said a festival is a good place for people to come together, get to know your neighbors and to enjoy your hometown.
“And it’s family weekend at UCM, so we hope students will bring down their families so they can get a taste of the community their students are living in,” she said.
Vendors will feature food – including local restaurants Old Drum Bakery and Cafe Blackadder – crafts, woodworking, nonprofit informational booths and in-home businesses selling their wares.
For additional information and a full schedule of events, contact the Warrensburg Main Street Inc. office at 660-429-3988, [email protected], [email protected] or visit www.theburgfest.org/index.html.