Missouri State Fair celebrates farm families

(SEDALIA, Mo.) – The Missouri State Fair will celebrate Missouri farmers with a new exhibit, “Thank a Farmer for the Harvest.”
The exhibit will be on display Aug. 7-17 in front of the Historic Administration Building. Also, the 56th annual Farm Bureau/Farm Family Day will be held Aug. 11.
Outstanding farm families were selected in the spring by Missouri County Extension Offices, to be celebrated during this year’s State Fair, according to a news release. They will enjoy special activities at the fair on Monday, Aug. 11, and will be recognized during the Farm Family Day Dinner in the director’s tent on the State Fairgrounds. During the dinner, each family will receive a plaque to acknowledge their contribution to the industry, sponsored by Missouri Farm Bureau.
Farm Family Day is sponsored by Missouri Farm Bureau, Missouri Department of Agriculture, Missouri State Fair, the University of Missouri Extension and the University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources.
These same families will represent Missouri farm families in the new, “Thank a Farmer for the Harvest” exhibit, sponsored by the University of Missouri Extension. Photographs of the farm families will be featured at the exhibit, showing them at work on their farms. The exhibit will also include a Missouri map identifying specific agriculture production areas across the state and other industry facts.
Other special recognition days being planned for this year’s Missouri State Fair include:

• Two Buck Bonanza Day, sponsored by MFA Agri Services, Aug. 7
  • No More Trash! Day, sponsored by Missouri Department of Transportation, Aug. 8
  • So-da-riffic…It’s Pepsi Day!, sponsored by Pepsi, Aug. 9
  • Military Appreciation Day, sponsored by I-Land Internet Services, Aug. 10
  • Missouri Farmers Care Food Drive Tuesday!, sponsored by Ford and Missouri Farmers Care, Aug.12
  • Senior Appreciation Day and Show-Me Bluegrass Festival, sponsored by the Sedalia Democrat and AgriMissouri,  Aug.13
  • Governor’s, Legislators’ and Judges’ Day, Aug. 14, and special recognition of Women in Agriculture sponsored by Monsanto
  • MEC Day – Harvest the Energy, sponsored by Association of Missouri Electric Cooperatives, Aug.15
  • Celebrate Kids in Agriculture – YIA Day!, sponsored by Missouri Department of Conservation, Aug.16
  • Protect the Harvest Day, sponsored by Protect the Harvest and Lucas Oil, Aug. 17

For more information about Farm Family Day and other daily highlights, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the fair on Facebook and Twitter, or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).