UCM hires new assistant coach for Mules basketball

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Mules basketball team has a new assistant coach with Division I experience.
Head coach Doug Karleskint recently announced that Ryan Hellenthal comes to Central Missouri after spending the previous four seasons at Long Beach State.

Hellenthal spent last season as an assistant coach with Long Beach State after serving three seasons as the director of Basketball Operations for the 49ers under head coach Dan Monson. During his time at Long Beach State, the 49ers compiled an 81-52 mark and made three trips to the postseason, including an apperance in the NCAA Tournament Second Round in 2011-12.
“Ryan brings a ton of experience at both the Division I and junior college level,” Karleskint said. “He is an excellent coach and we are excited for what he will bring to the Central Missouri program.”
Before LBSU, Hellenthal spent two seasons at Boise State where he served as the director of Basketball Operations for the Broncos, helping them to an appearance in the 2009 CBI Tournament. While at Boise State, his duties included coordinating all aspects of film exchange, team travel and the men’s basketball budget.
He served as the assistant academic coordinator for the men’s basketball student-athletes and was responsible for the planning and execution of all on-campus recruiting. He also assisted the coaching staff with scouting, game preparation and player development.
“I am excited for this opportunity to join the Central Missouri family,” Hellenthal said. “I am both honored and excited to help in the continued success of the UCM Basketball tradition.”
Before working at Boise State, he served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Coffeyville Community College with head coach Jay Herkelman from 2005-2008. While at Coffeyville, he helped lead the Red Ravens to a 90-19 record and a third-place finish at the NJCAA National Tournament in 2007 and a seventh-place finish in 2006. Coffeyville won the Region VI championship in both 2006 and 2007 and was Jayhawk Conference champions in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Hellenthal recruited the 2007-08 Street and Smith Preseason NJCAA Player of the Year and a 2006-07 NJCAA All-American, while also coaching or recruiting five all-conference players. Coffeyville was ranked in the top 25 nationally during all three of Hellethal’s seasons with the Red Ravens, reaching as high as fifth in the country.
He started his coaching career at Garden City Community College in 2002. The Broncbusters won 60 games during his three seasons at the school, while also winning the school’s first Jayhawk West Conference Championship since 1952. Hellenthal recruited and signed one NJCAA All-American at GCCC, as well as two all-region selections.
Hellenthal graduated from the University of Illinois-Chicago, in 2002 where he served as a student assistant basketball coach.