UCM is ready to start building mixed-use facility

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The University of Central Missouri is gearing up to begin what officials are calling its largest capital project in university history by cordoning off the site of a new mixed-use, student housing and retail facility at South and Holden streets.
The new building, tentatively called “The Crossing – South at Holden,” will be built by fall 2015 at the site of the former General Services Building on South Street, between Holden and Washington streets. A public ceremony to kickoff the demolition of the old building is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Thursday, March 27. The actual demolition will begin March 31, according to a news release.
As a safety precaution, McCownGordon Construction is beginning to place a 6-foot-tall construction fence around the perimeter of the construction area, and will follow-up with warning signs.
The sidewalks will be closed in front of the GSB on the south side of South Street, between Washington and Holden streets; a portion of the sidewalk on the west side of Holden Street, extending from South Street to the north edge of a private property; and the sidewalk on the east side of Washington Street that extends south from South Street to the north edge of the football stadium.
These sidewalks will be off limits to pedestrians until the project is completed, according to a news release.
The university also may need to temporarily close a section of Washington and Holden streets near the project to work on underground utilities, and shut down South Street from Holden to Washington Street for storm sewer and off-street parking improvements.
The project is designed to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver standards, and many of the materials taken from the demolition site will be crushed and recycled for use in the new building. Such efforts will likely result in noise that could be heard in nearby areas, including the campus.
Additional construction and demolition activities will take place south of the GSB, including new visitors bleachers and restrooms on the east side of the football field and seating removal at the horseshoe area at the north end of the field.
For more information, contact John Curtis, assistant director of Facilities, Planning and Operations, at 660-543-4331 or [email protected].