Jennies softball takes two games at Nebraska-Kearney, 8-2, 5-0

(KEARNEY, Neb.) — The Jennies softball team snapped a four-game skid, sweeping a doubleheader at Nebraska-Kearney 8-2 and 5-0 on Monday afternoon.The Jennies (7-7, 2-2 MIAA) jumped all over Nebraska-Kearney starting pitcher, Bailey Backhuus, scoring five runs on eight hits in an inning-plus. UCM tacked on a sixth run on an RBI single by Kristen Heil with two outs in the second inning against reliever Brittnie Kreiser.
The Lady Lopers scored two in the bottom of the fifth on a double by Samantha Liebmann that plated a pair of baserunners.
UCM’s Jakki Prater led of the top of the sixth with a home run to give the Jennies their seventh run of the day. Four batters later with pinch runner Amanda Nally on second,Emily King singled to center, scoring Nally and giving the Jennies an 8-2 lead.
Katie Shockley went the distance, evening her record at 1-1 with the win. She allowed two runs on six hits, walked three and struck out three batters.
The Jennies’ 2-through-6 hitters went a combined 13-for-23 with two home runs, seven RBI’s and seven runs scored.
In game two, UCM tacked on a run in the first, second and third innings, spotting Prater, their No. 1 hurler, a three-run cushion.
Two more runs came across in the top of the fourth on a single to the shortstop by Groeger that plated Keelia Martin and Brittany Knabe.
Prater tossed the second complete game of the day for UCM, allowing five hits, two walks and fanning two batters for her first shutout of the season. She improved to a a team-best 6-2 on the campaign.
Groeger went a combined 4-for-9 on the afternoon with four RBI’s and a run.
The Jennies will return to Warrensburg to play in their home opener on Friday for a 4 p.m. doubleheader with Missouri Western.