Mules run win streak to eight with 18-point win at Southwest Baptist

(BOLIVAR, Mo.) — The 24th-ranked Mules basketball team ran their winning streak to eight with an 85-67 win at Southwest Baptist on Saturday afternoon.
The Mules held the Bearcats to 39 percent shooting and 18 points below their season average.
The Mules (22-4, 14-3 MIAA) fell behind by three points in the early going before rallying to tie the game at 13-all. The Mules trailed 18-17, but a 12-0 run gave the Mules a 29-18 lead they would never relinquish.
The Bearcats (13-13, 6-11 MIAA) got back to within six late in the first half, but UCM went on a 10-5 spurt before leading 48-39 at the intermission.
Both teams came out cold to start the second half. The Mules didn’t score their first points of the half until the 17:13 mark when Jon Gilliam hit a three to give UCM a 51-41 lead.
The Bearcats got back to within five at 61-56 with 9:15 to play in the game, but an 8-0 run by the Mules pushed the lead back to 13. A 14-3 later in the half gave the Mules a 22-point lead with just under two minutes to play and put the game away.
Daylen Robinson led UCM with 16 points and eight assists, he was a perfect 8-of-8 at the foul line. With his eight assists, Robinson moved into ninth place on Central Missouri’s single-season assist list with 143.
Dillon Deck chipped in 14 points and Charles Hammork had 13 for the Mules. All 11 Mules who saw action in the game scored.
UCM was 32 of 56 from the field for 57 percent. The Mules were 4 of 14 from three-point range for 29 percent and 17 of 22 at the free throw line for 77 percent. UCM had 17 assists to just 10 turnovers in the game.
Rashad Brown-Peterson led SBU with 12 points as the Bearcats went 21 of 53 from the field for 39 percent. They were just 5 of 25 from beyond the arc for 20 percent and made 20 of 32 at the charity stripe for 63 percent.
The Mules forced 17 SBU turnovers and turned those into 24 points. UCM also held a 42-22 advantage in points in the paint.
The Mules wrap up their three-game road trip on Wednesday night at Missouri Western. Tipoff in St. Joseph is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.